help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynnnora2

Reaction score
My baby kits are 11 days old today and Ive just got in from work and went to check on them. They were both outside the nest box. I put them back in and then the little one kept jumping out again and again. Do I take the box out or leave it in?

Are their eyes opened yet? If they're going to keep jumping out, you can put the nest box on its side. That way they can run in and out and you won't have to worry about someone not making it back in. Usually when they're spending their time jumping out (and I'm spending my time putting them immediately back in) is when I just make a big hay nest in a corner and take the nest box completely out.

Thank you for your advice. I was thinking about turning the nest box on its side. The black one opened its eyes a little yesterday and the little one opened them tonight. Neither of them are opened wide yet. They seem to be changing quickly now, the black ones ears seem to stand off its head abit... looks so cute. I love rabbits.

I take nest boxes out at day 14 when the weather is decent and 3 weeks when the weather is cold. I agree with wendymac about putting a pile of hay in the cage to keep the babies warm if they will not stay in the box. Another option is to make it more difficult for the babies to get out of the box. I do this by taking some bedding out of the box so that they have to hop farther up to exit the box. You could also add a piece of cardboard across the entrance to make it more difficult for the babies without making it much harder for the mom. You would only need to do this for a few days.

Latest posts

Back