Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olliefolyfe

Reaction score
My bun Ollie (I think she's a mini lop) has had extremely hot ears the past couple of days even though my apartment is always kept cool. I looked it up and I read that it could be a sign of fever or ear infection. Has anyone had any experience with this?? I'm worried. :(

Do you have access to a thermometer you could use to take a rectal temperature? The normal rectal temperature range for rabbits, as listed in the Merck Veterinary Manual, is 101.5 - 104.2 degrees F.
They do rely on their ears for heat exchange so it can be normal for them to be warm.

She has no other symptoms. I don't have a thermometer, but I could just be paranoid. She is my first rabbit so this is all new to me! I appreciate the information, and I will keep a lookout for symptoms.

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
lops ears tend to be warmer than other buns. Oreo has some pretty warm ears, no infection, no fever.
I have a holland lop (aka mini lop outside the US) and a lionhead and I've noticed my lop's ears are generally warmer than my lionhead's.

Ear temp isn't necessarily an indication that there's a fever or medical issue.

As already mentioned, buns use their ears as part of a cooling system.
It can vary from bun to bun.

I have 6 buns and, on any given day, their ear temp can be different from bun to bun.

As a matter of fact, I would be more concerned with ears that were really cold.

Ear infection issues might include head shaking and/or ear scratching.
In an extreme case you might see internal redness and/or discharge from the ear(s).

Latest posts

Back