Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry your post isn't very clear. I take it you mean the kits died? How old were they? You need to give us some more info to be able to help :)

Loves rabbits wrote:
My rabbit have kits and they died y???????????????????????????????????:?:?:?:?:?
First of all - for future reference it helps if in the subject line you put more than "help". For instance "Why did my kits die?" or "My rabbit had babies and they're dead" or something like that.

So here are some questions that might help us with this.

How many babies did the mom have?

Did she make a nest?

Did she have a nestbox?

Did you see the kits alive or did you just find them dead?

How did they look? Let me give you an example - sometimes you'll see a kit that is long and thin and stretched out - oftentimes called a "pencil kit" because it is long and thin like a pencil. This means the mom may have had problems with delivery and the kit was in the birth canal a long time because it was too big. Or the kits can be not fully formed (sorry - I know that is gross) and it was a miscarriage.

We can't help you if we don't have more information.

I would highly recommend that you consider taking your rabbit to a vet for a checkup because if she has any retained kits - she can get an infection and die.

How many babies did the mom have?

Did she make a nest?
yes

Did she have a nestbox?
no

Did you see the kits alive or did you just find them dead?
2 day old alive and today dead

and the baby look ok

baby kits wont last longer than two days without feeding. I would be weary of breeding her again for she might do this again. its up to you though

4 months is little too young to have kits. wait until she is 6 months and then try again and she should be more prepared to have kits then.

Many times first time moms don't do very well.

What breed is she?

Oh wow - four months is definitely too young....definitely wait till at least 6 months - maybe even a bit later...

Her being so young and being a first-time mom make for an uncertain combination to begin with. It's common enough that first-time moms don't have quite the instinct (feeding them right, building a proper nest, etc)to raise their young too easily. I guess you'd have to wait a bit and then decide if you want to try it again or not. She might do better the next time, whereas the same thing may happen. Of course, there is always the possibility that something else happened as well but I'm pretty sure she probably wasn't too ready. :)

Yup. She is bit to young for breeding. And if she's a mini rex and you breed her to a New Zealand. That can be the problem too. The dad was to big for breeding a smaller breed, Plus being way to young.

Latest posts

Back