HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskerz

Reaction score
Ok, So I'm on my last nerve with this flooring crap. Sorry If I come off a bit harsh but I am very aggravated tonight and need to "vent" some.

I read that bunnies can get splayed legs from a smooth floor which I happen to have smooth tile flooring in my entire cage.

My husband and I went out to Lowes and bought this stuff called corrugated black runner. Its a heavy duty rubber, but very thin and has little grooves in it. Its PERFECT to use for flooring because it has tons of traction but its super thin so it lays flat with my tile. I got some super glue gel too to glue it to my tiles in the cage so it wouldnt move around. I got 4 pieces cut out of the runner, they are like 1ft x 1 1/2ft sheets.

I got home, put the super glue gel on the edges and pasted them on each of the levels. It couldnt be more perfect! They are center of each level, fit great, look great, and the bunnies were binking like crazy because they could actual grip the floor without slipping! It was all fine and dandy until Liam took a chunk out of one of the grooves! Uhhh! I dont want him eating the traction I just super glued in my cage.

Does anyone think that it will hurt my bunnies if the chew on the corrugated runner mat's I put in the cage? I want them to stay in there because they work so great for there feet and traction.

Here is a pic of that "traction mat" on the top level with Liam sitting on it
liammat-1.jpg

And here is a close up of the mat..runner..whatever
liammat1-1.jpg

I just dont know what to do..I want to enjoy my bunnies and there cage but it seams like the more I try the more goes wrong..:banghead

Bunnies like to chew on rubber, it's just one of those strange things. I wouldn't advise keeping those things in the cage. If they eat enough of it it could be very harmful.
About the splayed legs thing, there is no reason to think that they will get splayed legs just because you have tile floors. Both of your bunnies are already over 8 weeks old and are not likely to develop splayed legs at this age. It usually happens before they are 4-5 weeks while their bones are still developing in their bodies. I had a baby who got splayed legs because he was the only one in the litter and his mommy fed him too much. His belly was so big all the time that his legs grew outward instead of normal. I could tell by the time he was 3 weeks old that he would have this problem. Both Felix and Liam should be just fine. Their tile flooring seems to be slightly textured. As long as they are not constantly sliding around when they are trying to walk they should be fine.

Actually, after they nibbled on the traction mats for a few minutes, now they dont even notice they are there :biggrin:

Since they are not chewing on them, I will leave them in there. Iv very happy about this!

I'm so glad you found a soltuion, I'm sure they're going to be much happier now.

lelanatty wrote:
About the splayed legs thing, there is no reason to think that they will get splayed legs just because you have tile floors. Both of your bunnies are already over 8 weeks old and are not likely to develop splayed legs at this age. It usually happens before they are 4-5 weeks while their bones are still developing in their bodies. I had a baby who got splayed legs because he was the only one in the litter and his mommy fed him too much. His belly was so big all the time that his legs grew outward instead of normal. I could tell by the time he was 3 weeks old that he would have this problem. Both Felix and Liam should be just fine. Their tile flooring seems to be slightly textured. As long as they are not constantly sliding around when they are trying to walk they should be fine.
I always heard this too- that rabbits could only get splay legs when they were young. But my Harper was at least 10 weeks old when we brought him home and was about 15 weeks old when we first put him on the wood floors. Obviously what I was told is wrong because now his legs are splayed.
Just thought I'd throw that out there to anyone who reads this.

Latest posts

Back