.."Help""...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foot

Reaction score
.."Hi" I,m foot and I,m new to this forum and I need some help please..

I have 3 rabbits 2 Does and a Buck ..I have tried to breed then twice now with no luck (........I,m not new to rabbit breeding as I used to breed them back home In the UK so I do know how Its suposed to work ........My problem Is this.....every time I put a Doe Into the Bucks cage they do nothing Oh he tries on her head on her side and even the correct way but all she does Is either stamp her feet or just sits there.. "help"......

..Foot..

How old are your does? How old is the buck?

This is a tough time of year to try breeding. The days are getting shorter and the does know that winter is coming (or at least they think it is, even in Florida.) You can try a couple of things. The first thing I would do is leave a light on with the does at least 14 hours a day. Wait 7-10 days. Then try them with the buck.

You can also try a little wheat germ oil on their feed for 3 days. (Some breeders swear by it. I've never had to resort to it.)

Move the does and buck around in different cages. Put each doe in the buck cage with his smell, for a few days. Then put her with him and try to breed them.

If she refuses him again, bring her back to him every other day for a week. At some point, she should become fertile and accept him.

Good Luck with breeding your rabbits.

Good advise! I have been having some cold weather/reduced light breeding issues as well. I may have to try some of this stuff :)

Blue Giants gave you excellent advice. Winter breeding is definately harder not because of the cold but because of the lack of light. The lights in my barn are on timers and set for 16 hours a day. Do you show your rabbits or attend rabbit shows? If I am going to a winter show I bring along a few does that won't breed with me for the ride and the sounds and smells of the other rabbits. It sure puts them in the mood! If you are running around doing errands you could always put them in a carrier and take them with you. The ride sometimes will put them in the mood.

Another reason a doe won't breed is if she is too heavy. I keep my brood does that are on a break on a a strict diet. If they get fat they tend to not want to breed and if they do they have a harder time conveiving and giving birth.

Roger

Latest posts

Back