!!HELP!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxsumerxX

Reaction score
:hello. My rabbit hasn'tbeen eating for about 2 weeks now and i am very worried.Ihave been out shopping today as she only ate cucumber and cabage. I gother some new food aswel as she wasnt eating itand alsobraught her some liquid food and fed it to her with asurringe but she doesnt like it so i put it in a new bowl i got herwith some food init. Also i braught her some treats she liked when sheate propperly and shenow wont eat them and alsosheisnow she is really skinny and you can feel allher bones and spine when you pick her up and stroke her. she was inwith my boy rabbit for 10 minutes each day for 4 days.He mountedhera couple of times. She is 18 weeks old so she is oldenough to go with him. If she doesn't eat the food by monday she isgoing to the vets. Please help as i am worried that she is reallypoorly!!!!!:thanks: Sumer xx

:headflick::mrsthumper:

I would get your bun into the vets ASAP!!!

A rabbit not eating is an emergancy!

Keep syringing her the liquid food (is it critical care?, you can alsomake a slurry out of pellets and water or pedialyte), you can give hercanned pumpkin (the kind without sugar in it), and keep trying to gether to eat.

Also make sure she is drinking.

Please read the information provided in our Rabbit Health section onbloat/gas, GI Stasis, and how to force feed your bunny.http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=10

--Dawn

yeh she is going to vets on monday as they arntopen today or tomoro so this was my first option. she has drunk a 500mlbottle today with vitamins init. thank you for theinfo. sumer x

thank-you i had a look at that bit and it mademe feel a bit better bujt she is sooooo calm so i have just given her asurringe of the liquid food and she is now asleep on me.(lyin on herback). i cant pick her up coz i hate feling her bones. ill send u apicture of her if i have any... xx sumer xx

Why are you mating a rabbit that is in serious need of a vet?

Keep up with syringing food into her, probably a few cc's (or a fewteaspoons) every few hours. You'll need to pick her upwhether or not she feels bony because she needs it.And what are you feeding for liquid food? Is it CriticalCare? If it's not a hay-based liquid food such as CriticalCare, you should grind up her pellets and make a thin paste with themand feed her that. Otherwise she might not be getting thenutrients she needs. You can also mix a little Nutri-Cal in,it's a supplement for cats and dogs that also works well with rabbits.

You'll also need to figure out if there was something that triggeredthis because it might help the vet treat it and it will help you toprevent this from happening again. Did you change her foodsuddenly? Did she have problems with diarrhea from newpellets, too many veggies, too many treats, or pellet mixes that arefull of treats? Possible gas problems from cabbage (notuncommon)? Do you feed her hay (you should)?

she wasnt mating when she was ill. yeh i giveher hay as she has a hay manger thing in her cage and i weaned her offpellets not long ago and not changed her food since. she used to eather food as soon as she got it. she hasnt had treats lately. this is apic of her before she was not eating ........

xx sumer xx

What do you mean you weaned her offpellets? Do you mean that she isn't getting any pellets atall, or that you switched her to a different brand?

She's very cute, by the way!

she was on exel but now she is on chudleys cozits cheaper and i buy it in bulk but she still gets pellets in thefood. it has like dried dandylion flowers init

How long before she stopped eating did youswitch her pellets? I'd switch her back to Excel when you canbecause it has better nutrition and because it's plainpellets. Mixes are unhealthy and sometimes promote nutrientdeficiencies because the rabbit picks out his favorite stuff and leavesthe rest. Plus the protein amount in Chudleys is way too lowfor a growing rabbit (she should be on a 16% protein pellet) and thefiber is very low which can lead to intestinal problems.

Chudleys:
http://www.chudleys.co.uk/index.phtml?detailsMode=product-details&id=33

Burgess Excel Junior and Dwarf:
http://www.burgesssupafeeds.co.uk/Pages/junior.html

Ideally the Excel should have more fiber too, but 16% fiber isn't asbad as it could be. I've heard good stuff about this foodcompared to other available UK pellets.

I'd also recommend not feeding her cabbage because it tends to cause alot of gas problems. Since she's so young, it would probablybe a good idea to just cut all veggies out and then slowly add themback in, at most one new veggie a week, to make sure she's notsensitive to them. Young rabbits can be very sensitive toveggies and some rabbits have problems with veggies in general.

The best food I've found is science selective.

http://www.russelrabbit.com/science_selective.php

'A high fibre (19%) fully extruded complete food, with the addedbenefits of prebiotics and natural herbs to keep your rabbit fit andhealthy'.

scienceselective.jpg

Science - Selective Rabbit is a mono-component, complete dietfor rabbits, designed to combat the specific problem of selectivefeeding.

• Science - Selective Rabbit incorporates a blend of premium qualityraw materials extruded into a highly nutritional and palatable biscuit.
  • Science - Selective Rabbit contains a high level of fibre (19%) topromote gut motility, ealthy digestion and even dental wear.
  • Science - Selective Rabbit contains Bio-Moss, a prebiotic whichboosts immune function, aids digestion and improves caecal consistency.The prebiotic acts on harmful gut bacteria, allowing the beneficialbacteria to flourish. The average adult rabbit will need approximately50gms a day of Science - Selective Rabbit.
------------------------------------------

It is important that she starts eating so I'd try to wean heronto ss or excel. I'm not a fan of mixes for the reasons naturesteestated. My rabbits love their ss pellets so I'd definetly try her withthose but be careful not to change the food over suddenly as that cancause gut problems.

Yes! That's it! I was trying to remember what the other good pellet brand in the UK was!

Oxbow is also excellant but hard to find in the UK. I highlyrecommend that you read up on proper feeding because it might preventGI problems like this from happening again.

Why Lite? She's a growing baby andneeds more nutrients than a pellet designed for adult overweightrabbits can provide. She needs pellets designed for growingbabies.

She needs a pellet designed for young or nursingrabbits. Which means any food with 16% protien or more, andgenerally an alfafa based pellet. It won't be a breed basedfood, as all growing/nursing rabbits requir the same nutrients.

--Dawn

ok thanx very much. she is a bit better thismorning as she has had 5 surringes of the liquid food and drinking verywell. i have booked the vets for tomoro so then theyll tell m what itis. thanx for all the help and asdvise u have given me.

sumer xx:brown-bunny:happyrabbit:

Latest posts

Back