Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blubun0

Reaction score
I got a brand new bunny from Petco that had only been there an hour or so. I don't know if I'm just not seeing her do it, but her bowl hasn't run down on food. My little bun bun won't eat it seems. She just runs around from corner to corner. I've tried banana's, what else can help my bun eat?

More info please>>>>

How old is the bun?
Is it pooping and peeing?
Is the food the same food as was given in the pet store?
Does the bun have access to unlimited hay? Timothy or alfalfa?
Does the bun have access to unlimited water? Buns will not eat if they don't have water to drink.

:yeahthat:

How long has she been home? Is she pooping? She may be too busy playing with her cage right now. Did you give her the same brand that she had at the store? If it's new food than she may take longer to start eating it. Don't feed her sugary or starchy treats yet, you should stick with what she's used to so she doesn't get an upset stomach. You have to be really careful about stuff like that with young bunnies anyway, and since she's from a pet store I'd guess she's a baby.

If she doesn't start eating and pooping within 12 hours, call a vet. 24 hours is an emergency.

Have you had problems with this store before?

Alright, Petco guessed she was about 6 weeks old. I'm not sure what food they had at Petco, but she was only there for about 3 hours before I came to pick her up. So yeah, she's a little bun. They said she came from Ohio. Anyway, yes she's peeing and pooping, and drinking water. She's been moved around a bit the last couple days, so I'm hoping that it's just stress. We got her on Wednesday, she stayed at my fiance's house that night, then came here last night. I've given her bunny pellets and alfalfa to nibble, even put them on the floor so she doesn't have to stick her head in the bowl.

Oh, she's also doing a little teeth grinding.

She's still adjusting to her new environment and it'll be a little while before she will settle down and eat. She probably didn't get any greens at Petco, so avoid introducing them at this stressful time. Go easy on the banana -- high in sugar. A little rolled oats and some hay may be tempting.

If you have a water bottle, be certain it is working properly. I would provide a bowl at least for the first couple days to be certain she's drinking.

Pam

Okay, I have like purified drinking water, and tap, which should I put in the bowl?

I put the bowl in. She must have really been thirsty! She's drinking from it every two or three minutes. She hasn't eaten yet, but she's been at least sniffing at her food.

Glad to hear that the little one is drinking!!

Bunnies have a tendency not to eat if they don't have water to drink. Maybe she'll start eating now.

If she's small, make sure she has a low bowl that she can get the food out of.

As long as she eats the hay, don't worry too much about the pellets for right now.

She'll need some time to get adjusted. Be patient and keep a close eye on her.

And keep us updated.

~Jim

Latest posts

Back