*help*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think another baby was born last night after the first 6 because when I check on them today I felt 7!

When holding number 7 it seemed smaller and not as well feed, it also isn't as active as the others, just sleeps when I pick it up as the others squirm!

I know this one is not likley to make it and I am not going to try feeding by hand if this is a runt because if the mom doesn't take care of them there is a reason.

What can I do to give it it's best shot at life?

DustyBegginings wrote:

I know this one is not likley to make it and I am not going to try feeding by hand if this is a runt because if the mom doesn't take care of them there is a reason.

Well, I can't tell you if it is a runt because I don't have a pic of it. Ummm, since you don't want to hand feed it there is nothing you can do. However, if you feel like it you can take the mother out twice a day and let the little baby nurse while you hold the mother.

As for you thinking that if the mother doesn't take care of them there is a reason: Sometimes the mother is not experienced enough or maybe is her first litter and they really don't do a good job. Or maybe she didn't or can't produce enough milk. Don't just assume it is because there is something wrong with the litter or that one baby. I have saved MANY a runt's life!

Sharon

DustyBegginings wrote:

The only thing to do if you don't want to hand feed it (I use kitten milk replacer powder to make formula) is to try and see if it will attach to the mom's nipple if you hold it to the nipple.

Why are you sure it won't make it? My runts have done fine - they usually turn out a bit smaller - but as long as they're not peanuts...they're ok.

And babies do sleep all the time (till their eyes open...and maybe a few days after that).

Peg

Is the chance of a runt making it when being handfed that high? I thought the rarely made it!

Tinysmom, all the other babbied move around and "talk" when I pick them up, this baby just lays down and it quiet.

Latest posts

Back