HELP!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nose_twitch

Reaction score
Okay, so JJ hasn't pooped or eaten all night, and last night when I got home from work, he was huddled up in the back of his cage and didn't want to come out to play. I felt his belly, and it feels normal and soft.

I'm assuming this is Stasis, so I'm about to go out and get pumpkin, nutrical, parsley, and baby food (why hadn't I gotten this earlier???? I'm kicking myself!!). Anything else I should get?

I'm sorry that in my panic I haven't been able to locate all the other threads about Stasis. Will some moderators bump them for me??

Advice is appreciated. I love this rabbit more than life. Thanks.

I should mention that JJ is molting, so I think some fur got stuck in him or something. Also, there are major fires around here, so I'm thinking he's not reacting well to all the smoke.

And get some pedialyte and simethicone and are you near any place that sellsOxbow Critical Care?

Critical Care is like the wonder drug for statis - it's a probiotic and I completely attribute it for getting Misty going.

Also pick up syringes... small ones for water and fatter ones for pellet slurry. I've only seen the fatter ones at vet offices though - not sure where you can get them. The smaller ones you can get at the pharmacy.

I JUST got through my first fight with stasis as well.

See my post on how to syringe feed the bun if needed:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11658&forum_id=16

_________
Nadia

nose_twitch wrote:
I should mention that JJ is molting, so I think some fur got stuck in him or something. Also, there are major fires around here, so I'm thinking he's not reacting well to all the smoke.
It could very well be. Some rabbits will go into stasis when they are stressed.

Can you get him to a vet? It's really helpful to have an xray done. That way you will know whether or not he has a blockage. If he does, he'll need that treated first.

Do you have a feeding syringe? You can find them in pet stores and for babies.

Food is important (if he doesn't have an actual blockage), but water is more important. It'll make him feel better if he's not dehydrated, plus it can help break up a blockage. Room temperature or slightly warm water is good. Mocha liked the apple flavored Pedialyte I used for her.

Simethicone- liquid baby gas medication- will help break up gas, which causes part of the pain.

Heat may also be beneficial- Mocha felt cold to me, and snuggled in to my lap. She doesn't normally do that. You could try putting him on your lap, or offer a warm towel or a safe electrical pad (careful with cords!) and let him choose if he wants to be near them.

This is a really good article:
http://www.mybunny.org/info/gi_stasis.htm

I hope he feels better soon. I know how I felt when Mocha had stasis.

naturestee wrote:
Actually, a pellet slurry would be better than Critical Care. He's used to eating his pellets, so they won't upset his stomach.

Here's a recipe, but all you really have to do is grind the pellets and add enough water to allow the mush to be syringe fed.
http://www.rabbit.org/care/recipies.html

I disagree, but it's my opinion.

The reason I was told by my vet that Critical Care is better than a plain pellet slurry is because it is a probiotic - it helps re-populate the necessary bacteria to get the GI tract moving again. It contains papaya enzymes as well (which is know is debated, but can't hurt). If you look on the ingredients of Critical Care, you'll see the probiotics as well as the enzyme. Oh, and it has some mineral oil in it which is a laxative. It's like a pellet slurry with bonus.

You should talk to your vet nose_twitch. Even though I had the critical care, I still took Misty to the vet and he showed me how to palpatate and feel for poops in her intestines and he checked for blockages.

EDIT: Naturestee, I just went and looked at the recipe you attached and it adds a pro-biotic to the recipe - this was the benefit I found in Critical Care, so your recipe actually does the same thing - thanks for the link, I've never seen that recipe before.

I agree - great link! It's going in the Bunny Book...

I just went through a GI scare with 3 of my buns. I'm not sure what prompted it. It could have been some greens that had started to sour or possibly stale pellets from the bottom of the bag.

All 3 of them almost stopped poopin/peein/eatin/drinkin completely. They never stopped completely or we would have been of to the vet within 24hrs.

I threw out all green and open pellets that were older than a week. I bought some fresh parsley. Ialso offered them rolled oats and dried papaya (favorite treats).

Whithin 3 days they had all returned to normal.

IMO....I would try the parsley first and see if it prompts JJ to eat (always works well with my buns). If JJ won't eat the parsley or his favorite treats, I would plan a visit to the vet. GI problems can be caused by many different things and getting a proper diagnosis is important.

Our S'more went into full GI statis a few months ago. We thought we were going to lose her for sure. It eneded up being an infection in her GI tract that required antibiotics. I could have treated her until I was blue in the face and could have lost her anyway.

Keep in mind too that what come out of a bun is proportional to what goes in. If they're not eatin/drinkin it only makes sense that they won't be poopin/peein either.

It could even be a problem with teeth or mouth irritation.

~Jim

Thanks for you advice everyone. JJ refuses to each by himself. I've syringed a pedialyte, pumpkin, and apple carrot juice mixture. I also massaged his belly for awhile like the link m.e. gave said to do. I keep offering him parsley and hay and even banana, but he won't have anything to do with it. I am going to try the pellet sludge thing now and if he's not better by tonight, I'll take him to the vet. I heard him grind his teeth in pain, and it broke my heart. Thanks for all your support and advice.

I am so sorry to hear JJ is not well. Try not to panic it sounds like you are doing really well and helping him as much as you can. It is so hard to see them suffer. I will be thinking about him and wishing him well. Let us know what the vet says :hug1

See if you can get him to move around a little. The activity is good for him and may help move things along in the GI tract.

S'more became very uncomfortable because of gas. At first her belly seemed normal, but by the next day she had started to bloat. I used simethicone (infant gas drops) and it worked wonders. It breaks up all the little bubbles into one and makes it easier to pass. It won't do any harm to JJ to give him the drops and may ease some of the pain in his tummy if that's the case. You can get them at any drugstore (Mylicon is a popular brand name...mine are CVS brand)

I also added some vanilla to the drinking water to prompt them to drink more. S'more seemed to like the taste and started to drink more on her own immediately after I added it.

Prayers and good thoughts sent. Keep us updated!

~Jim

Thankfully, I've never had one of my buns go into stasis, but I would imagine that moving would help things "get going" again, as well as perhaps taking the poor guy's mind off his predicament and help his morale a bit, too.... Give JJ a big hug for me! :hug1

I agree with Jim - give a little Simethicone (look in the drug store for baby gas medicine, and check the medicinal ingredient - find one that is simethicone).

Misty was bloated too when she was in stasis and right before the poops came, I gave her the simethicone and tummy massages.

Keep us updated.

I agree with Honeypot and Jim, Simethicone is good,as is PLENTY OF WATER (syringe feed just the water) and the Critical Care (or slurry mix). And keep him moving, activity is good.

Pumpkin is good in the beginning when poops are small, but now it may not help, and anything with sugar might do more harm than good.

Really need to hydrate the mass (and him). That's more important than food at this stage, although the Critical Care or slurry mix (or both mixed together) will be more important as the hours pass.

Oh yeah, make sure you let theCC or slurry mix soak for a good five or ten minutes before he gets it.

SAS :pray:

We have poops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:jumpforjoy::sickbunny:

Yay! I kept giving him waterand tummy massages, and by about 4:00 he was hopping around. He's eaten a LOT of parsley soaked in waterand a little hay. Thank you all for the great advice. I don't know what I'd do without it.:happydanceI'll keep you all informed.

I'm late catching this, but it sounds as if things are improving (thank goodness). You have been given great advice, and are doing all you can, so hopefully he's on the mend. Let us know how the pooping/peeing/eating is going.

Jan

YAY for poop!!! We all know how stressful the waiting is!

_________
Nadia

Latest posts

Back