Help! Young rabbit siblings fighting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! She's a beauty! Her dad is a lionhead he's also harley and her fur is exceptionally thick and silky she looks like a fat girl but she isn't fat it's her gorgeous coat, very beautiful :)
p1080406-jpg.44560

p1080413-jpg.44561
So cute.

Thank you! She's very kind as well I love her a lot :)

Yes, they are both males. Thankfully they are fine now. No fight observed yesterday. This morning I cleaned them up with a wet cloth followed by dry cloth and finally combing. They were quite happy and licked my hands thoroughly.
That's great that they settled for now but expect fights in the future if they are only 10 weeks now. If you see humping, circling and then fur flying it would be safer to separate them until they are neutered (+ wait 2 months after neutering before rebonding them).

You may think maybe your rabbits are not like every other rabbit and they will stay bonded, I can understand that you won't trust until you witness that, well, good luck hopefully you'll be able to stop them when needed.

Hi 2 of my rabbits are siblings, I got them on 15th of March when they were about a month old max. They have grown since then but still drink milk from syringe once in the morning and once in the evening. During day time they feed on Dried grass, Hay and pellets. They love coriander, carrots and french beans. My sofa is often their dancing and jumping ground and they run and jump on it while I am sitting next to them. Yesterday on 15th April they were playing as normal and seemed very happy. Suddenly they were chasing each other in small circles and fell off the sofa. Then they were like face to face and I heard a scream. I got worried and separated them, cuddled them and they were fine. Later when I was in the wash room they started again and my 29 year old son tried to separate them with his hands. Knowingly or accidentally one of them bit him on his hand. Can any one explain this behaviour? Anything to worry about? My Vet is too busy due to lock down and I need advise. Of course they were together whole night peacefully. Morning also went well. there after they were again put in the cage. Lunch time I opened the cage and they were moving around and suddenly one was chasing the other at high speed. I just commanded NO, NO and they both settled. I am sharing today lunch time pics of them.
It's referred aggression, the bite. You need to separate them and have them neutered, then wait 8 weeks before you attempt to rebond them. And when you do, wear thick gloves!

Too cute but PLEASE separate them. One good fight and you may never be able to bond them or lose one altogether. You KNOW they will fight as it has happened. Please be safe rather than regretful later when something bad happens. As long as they can safely see each other, they will not lose any bond they already have but by doing this, its so dangerous. It takes a split second for someone to turn their eyes away and it is too late. They are FAST.
Also, sexing is very hard! Have it done professionally or you may have babies in 34 days!

you don't need to block their vision of each other. Just make sure they can't reach each other to do damage. What you are doing now works. Let one out, keep the other in, and then vice versa. That is VERY good thinking. You got this. It's good.

Thanks every one for your valuable suggestions. I really appreciate your concern. Now 3 days have passed since the fight or nibble whatever it was. They do run after each other now and play and jump together but havent seen them fight. Now they are only let out in the morning at 6:30 AM till 9:00 AM, then 2:00 PM to 3 PM and finally 6 PM till mid night. But I always keep a dust pan handy to train them not to fight. They always sleep next to each other any time of the day. I dont want to separate them. Each one has its own personality. One of them comes to me every time I am sitting but the other one does that sometimes.

Hi Guys
Just an update that my bunnies are really getting along very well. If one is missing for some time, other will run every where and check every hiding place to find the other one. I just need to know what is it on the underside of them? I am posting pics of both as 1 and 2. Would appreciate if some experts can comment on this. Thanks in advance. Is it anyway related to their sexes?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 10
One more thing, they some times eat very less and even the poo is also less. Like yesterday and day before. Anything to worry. They are playful and active otherwise.

I'm generally very bad at sexing rabbits (I've tried and tried to learn the difference when they are young, have studied all the pics and STILL can't get it) but those are definitely males. The testicles are very apparent.
I would really recommend neutering or separating. Male rabbits are known to spontaneously decide to try to castrate each other and the trauma/stress can easily leave one or both dead.

I had two bucks that got along great for a while, then tried to hurt each other. It can happen anytime, day or night.

Their droppings have reduced in size and quantity from last few days. But they are active. Food intake also is lower. Anything to worry about?

I would worry about Gi-stasis. Have they been sitting hunched up like the rabbit in the picture? Have there been any changes in diet, housing, etc?

Attachments

• 2020-01-29 (3).jpg
    2020-01-29 (3).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1
I would worry about Gi-stasis. Have they been sitting hunched up like the rabbit in the picture? Have there been any changes in diet, housing, etc?
Not at all. They are active as usual, play full. Have their milk, hay, sunflower seeds and linum seeds, Pellets, coriander and green washed & dried grass. They climb on chairs and run around as usual. Their housing is also same. By the way what is the remedy for Gi-Stasis?

Their droppings have reduced in size and quantity from last few days. But they are active. Food intake also is lower. Anything to worry about?
Hi, would you mind starting your own thread so you can get help with your rabbits, this thread was on a different subject and it is a bit confusing since people are replying to your questions and other people to OP questions. I think it would be fair!

Not at all. They are active as usual, play full. Have their milk, hay, sunflower seeds and linum seeds, Pellets, coriander and green washed & dried grass. They climb on chairs and run around as usual. Their housing is also same. By the way what is the remedy for Gi-Stasis?
They get milk? That is awful for them so I would remove the milk ASAP. Do not give them too many sunflower seeds or flax seeds because they will make your rabbit fat. Be careful in allowing them to climb on chairs. There are many stories of rabbits falling off chairs and being seriously injured.
There are many ways to cure stasis, but they all include a large vet bill.

Also, I agree with @zuppa completely!

Latest posts

Back