Help! Young rabbit siblings fighting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A series of events led to Lottie and Truffle having contact. Lottie bowed her head and Truffle groomed her for 5 minutes ish. They then parted ways and are lying down in my living room. I am watching them very carefully for any signs of aggression from Truffle but at the moment they are ok. I will still keep them separate but might let them have brief contact if they continue this way.

What a beautiful picture of them both :)

You know, I have two unfixed females mother Bernie (1 year 9 months) and her daughter Harley (10 months old), they are bonded since Christmas so nearly 3 months now, Harley inherited her dad's character he's extremely peaceful and well-tempered rabbit and she shows respect to her mother but I feel that she's not happy in this bond. I keep watching them and think I will split them and will bond Bernie to a fixed male, she's also first in line for spaying (it's just money question I have more rabbits to be fixed but she will be definitely first, I am going to fix two girls same day one is Bernie and other is Smokey in my avatar). She is a nice girl but she's very bossy and requests so much grooming when she doesn't get enough there's some Harley's fur I keep finding in their place when coming to clean it. And overall Harley is definitely less active with her she was happier when she was on her own.

I am busy building a new larger enclosure at the moment and keep them together as don't have much room at the moment also I am not sure maybe they just need more time to sort out their issues they also look very bonded when they are laying side by side.

I think that Truffle grooms Lottie because she wants her to groom her back that's exactly what Bernie does she grooms Harley with a great enthusiasm.

Here's a pic of my girls, Bernie is a cream

p1080333-jpg.44533

Last edited:
What a beautiful picture of them both :)

You know, I have two unfixed females mother Bernie (1 year 9 months) and her daughter Harley (10 months old), they are bonded since Christmas so nearly 3 months now, Harley inherited her dad's character he's extremely peaceful and well-tempered rabbit and she shows respect to her mother but I feel that she's not happy in this bond. I keep watching them and think I will split them and will bond Bernie to a fixed male, she's also first in line for spaying (it's just money question I have more rabbits to be fixed but she will be definitely first, I am going to fix two girls same day one is Bernie and other is Smokey in my avatar). She is a nice girl but she's very bossy and requests so much grooming when she doesn't get enough there's some Harley's fur I keep finding in their place when coming to clean it. And overall Harley is definitely less active with her she was happier when she was on her own.

I am busy building a new larger enclosure at the moment and keep them together as don't have much room at the moment also I am not sure maybe they just need more time to sort out their issues they also look very bonded when they are laying side by side.

I think that Truffle grooms Lottie because she wants her to groom her back that's exactly what Bernie does she grooms Harley with a great enthusiasm.

Here's a pic of my girls, Bernie is a cream

p1080333-jpg.44533
They are pretty too! I have never seen a lop with the colors harley has, she is super pretty!

They are pretty too! I have never seen a lop with the colors harley has, she is super pretty!
Thanks! She's a beauty! Her dad is a lionhead he's also harley and her fur is exceptionally thick and silky she looks like a fat girl but she isn't fat it's her gorgeous coat, very beautiful :)
p1080406-jpg.44560

p1080413-jpg.44561

She looks like a harlequin mix! She is so pretty, Bernie is a perfect color too... they are complimentary bunnies!

Hi 2 of my rabbits are siblings, I got them on 15th of March when they were about a month old max. They have grown since then but still drink milk from syringe once in the morning and once in the evening. During day time they feed on Dried grass, Hay and pellets. They love coriander, carrots and french beans. My sofa is often their dancing and jumping ground and they run and jump on it while I am sitting next to them. Yesterday on 15th April they were playing as normal and seemed very happy. Suddenly they were chasing each other in small circles and fell off the sofa. Then they were like face to face and I heard a scream. I got worried and separated them, cuddled them and they were fine. Later when I was in the wash room they started again and my 29 year old son tried to separate them with his hands. Knowingly or accidentally one of them bit him on his hand. Can any one explain this behaviour? Anything to worry about? My Vet is too busy due to lock down and I need advise. Of course they were together whole night peacefully. Morning also went well. there after they were again put in the cage. Lunch time I opened the cage and they were moving around and suddenly one was chasing the other at high speed. I just commanded NO, NO and they both settled. I am sharing today lunch time pics of them.

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_134941__01.jpg
    IMG_20200416_134941__01.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200416_135004__01.jpg
    IMG_20200416_135004__01.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 7
Hi 2 of my rabbits are siblings, I got them on 15th of March when they were about a month old max. They have grown since then but still drink milk from syringe once in the morning and once in the evening. During day time they feed on Dried grass, Hay and pellets. They love coriander, carrots and french beans. My sofa is often their dancing and jumping ground and they run and jump on it while I am sitting next to them. Yesterday on 15th April they were playing as normal and seemed very happy. Suddenly they were chasing each other in small circles and fell off the sofa. Then they were like face to face and I heard a scream. I got worried and separated them, cuddled them and they were fine. Later when I was in the wash room they started again and my 29 year old son tried to separate them with his hands. Knowingly or accidentally one of them bit him on his hand. Can any one explain this behaviour? Anything to worry about? My Vet is too busy due to lock down and I need advise. Of course they were together whole night peacefully. Morning also went well. there after they were again put in the cage. Lunch time I opened the cage and they were moving around and suddenly one was chasing the other at high speed. I just commanded NO, NO and they both settled. I am sharing today lunch time pics of them.
Hi. Did you check their sexes already? From what you described they could be both boys and what you witnessed will continue and will escalate into a serious fight so it would be best to separate them right now, you can neuter them when your vet will be available and wait 2 months after that so hormones calm down, then you can try bonding them so they can stay together again, but no guarantee they will bond especially if they had a major fight and will remember that.

You can't keep two males together because they can kill each other. With some exceptions some rabbits can be very calm and friendly, but most of boys would fight for dominance when mature.

Your son got injured because it was his mistake that he tried to separate them with his bare hands, he should use dustpan or broom or something but never do it with bare hands. You can check if they have any wounds on them it is very possible as you said you heard one screaming. Don't leave them together for night, they can kill or seriously damage each other.

ok. But thats all, they spent the night together. they played in the morning together, then they were in the cage whole day. 6PM onwards they are out and playing. No such fight as of now. Will check if I can make out their sexes. Will ask my Son to use something to separate them in case they are fighting. According to me they may just be playing with some nibbles. Although I did observe some fur in one of the mouths. Thanks for your comments. Let us wait for other members experience.
Hi. Did you check their sexes already? From what you described they could be both boys and what you witnessed will continue and will escalate into a serious fight so it would be best to separate them right now, you can neuter them when your vet will be available and wait 2 months after that so hormones calm down, then you can try bonding them so they can stay together again, but no guarantee they will bond especially if they had a major fight and will remember that.

You can't keep two males together because they can kill each other. With some exceptions some rabbits can be very calm and friendly, but most of boys would fight for dominance when mature.

Your son got injured because it was his mistake that he tried to separate them with his bare hands, he should use dustpan or broom or something but never do it with bare hands. You can check if they have any wounds on them it is very possible as you said you heard one screaming. Don't leave them together for night, they can kill or seriously damage each other.

I completely agree with @zuppa! Rabbits will most likely fight no matter what gender they are. You need to separate them and check their genders. If you have one male and one female, the female might be pregnant already. Rabbits do not "play-fight" like cats. If there is fighting at all, that means you have a problem. You need to house them separately until you can get them spayed and neutered. After that, you will need to properly bond them so they can be housed together. Bonding Bunnies.

Thanks Mariam But my Rabbits are bonded together. It is just one evening instance when they were playing together and suddenly something went wrong between them. I am keeping a watch on them now.
I completely agree with @zuppa! Rabbits will most likely fight no matter what gender they are. You need to separate them and check their genders. If you have one male and one female, the female might be pregnant already. Rabbits do not "play-fight" like cats. If there is fighting at all, that means you have a problem. You need to house them separately until you can get them spayed and neutered. After that, you will need to properly bond them so they can be housed together. Bonding Bunnies.

Thanks Mariam But my Rabbits are bonded together. It is just one evening instance when they were playing together and suddenly something went wrong between them. I am keeping a watch on them now.
Don't want to disappoint you but your rabbits weren't bonded, they were still babies from same litter and babies always are getting along until they become 'teenagers', depending on breed and personal development somewhere between 10 weeks and 16 weeks. They become sexually active then and usually boys starting showing signs first, they need to sort out who's the top bun here and they will fight for dominance.

I know it is hard to believe and of course you can wait for more opinions but unfortunately your rabbits will only grow one way and they will never be babies again, if they had fight already that was sign for you that they need to be separated, another fight can start suddenly and even if you are there it can take seconds and you won't be able to change it back.

Baby bonds (the "bond" that holds rabbits together until their hormones kick in) is not a true bond. It will break and if the fight is large enough, they will never bond again. What your rabbits have is not a real bond. They will fight and they may never be able to live together again. The fight can turn violent quickly! If a fight does happen, one of the rabbits may die. If it does not die in the fight, vets may be needed to provide pain medicine and stitches, but if the wounds are really bad, the rabbit may need to be put to sleep.

Rabbits Indoors says: Bonding Bunnies
"The FALSE bond: Baby rabbits don't truly bond to each other or to an older rabbit-- at least not in the long term. Often owners will start out with two sibling babies and assume that because they are so cuddly together, they will surely remain best buddies forever. And, indeed, they appear to get along just wonderfully... initially. However, a funny thing happens to rabbits between 4 and 7 months of age. Those pesky hormones kick in and soon one or both of those sweet, docile babies can have a Jekyll & Hyde turn around. Before long, the rabbits are fighting. If a fight is severe enough (or there is no one present to stop such a fight), they will have little chance of ever bonding again. If you already have two babies, separate them until both are fixed."

ok. But thats all, they spent the night together. they played in the morning together, then they were in the cage whole day. 6PM onwards they are out and playing. No such fight as of now. Will check if I can make out their sexes. Will ask my Son to use something to separate them in case they are fighting. According to me they may just be playing with some nibbles. Although I did observe some fur in one of the mouths. Thanks for your comments. Let us wait for other members experience.
Yes, they are both males. Thankfully they are fine now. No fight observed yesterday. This morning I cleaned them up with a wet cloth followed by dry cloth and finally combing. They were quite happy and licked my hands thoroughly.

Latest posts

Back