(help with wild baby bunny) Please don't judge me...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly83

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, but I'm totally new to rabbits so please don't judge me...

Here's my story:

My boyfriend was weed whacking the lawn the other night, and he came across a nest of bunnies. I wasn't home at the time, but when I did get home, he explained the situation to me. He had put the bunnies back in the nest, but he must have missed one of them, because when we went to go check on them he stepped on one :tears2:.
Once we found it, we noticed it was motionless and bleeding. Unsure of what to do, and not wanting to pick it up (as we also have a young golden retriever and a very old dwarf hamster), we left it where it was. I ran inside to frantically call every rescue organization I could think of, but it was after hours. I literally felt sick to my stomach thinking about the bunny, so I went outside to check on it. It was cold and lifeless with ants crawling on it. My heart broke...until I saw the bunny's nose move.
Needless to say, I took the bunny inside, cleaned his wounds, put it in a box with cloths and a makeshift heating pack, and covered him up in the closet.

I really didn't expect the bunny to make it through the night, but 4 days later he is doing SO well. There is a recent picture of the bunny (taken Sunday) in the intro thread. I've been feeding it warm KMR, initiating his bowel movements, keeping him isolated, and doing as much research as I can. I suspect he may either have head tilt from the trauma (the bunny's nose was bleeding when he came to me) or a back leg injury (he drags his back legs - I don't know much about bunnies, but his movement seems off). Both eyes are open (left eye was originally closed).

I did try to reunite the bunny with his mother the other night, but mom didn't come back for him, and the bunny didn't move - he was just getting cold.

So I'm trying to figure out how to proceed next. The rescue organizations I did get in touch with were not willing to help me, and I don't trust my vet with small animals (took my hamster there, and was charged $130 for no prognosis), and they seemed reluctant to work on a "wild" bunny.

He seems to be healing on his own, but I'm just looking for a bit of guidance right now. Help is much appreciated!

Thanks for reading! :)
Holly

Wildlife rehab centers won't take in an injured wild rabbit? That's odd... but I don't know very much about that unfortunately.

I think you've done a lot of things right so far for this baby bunny and he's made it this far. :hug:

I hope an Infirmary mod comes along soon to provide better insight.

Hi Kirby,

The only rehab center near me is an hour away - when I called, I was told I was out of their jurisdiction. The gave me a number for a different wildlife rescue, but it was the number for some industrial animal removal place. It was all very odd.
The local ospca and animal shelter will only take domestic pets around here, so basically I have no other options for now :nerves1.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly though!

This guy is going to need some serious care soon. It really should be given by a licensed wildlife rehabber. A list is found here: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

If you can't find one that will help you, and the emergency vet won't perform any medicine on it, then you can ask the emergency vet to put the bunny to sleep--it's in a lot of pain and really needs some kind of help. Another possible place to contact is the local animal control (call the police non-emergency line) or even your state's department of natural resources.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your help! I actually came across that site Friday, but the link for outside of the U.S. is broken :?. If anyone has links for Canada, it would be awesome!

Hi all,

No luck with rehab yet, but on a side note the bunny has made a FULL recovery. He escaped from his wee box last night, and ended up under the dryer...I took that as an indication that he's fine. I also took it as an indication that until he's done his weaning, and he's ready for his release he needs more space to run around. He is now in the spare room, in a mid-sized cardboard box, with a hole cut in it, attached to my hamster's playpen (yes, my hamster has a playpen - well, not right now I guess...). It's a makeshift run for the time being.

Bunny jumped into my hand and licked me tonight after his feeding. I'm having a really difficult time believing that this is the same bunny who was almost dead a week ago. Seeing him, one would think he's a domestic. Right now he is taking KMR twice a day, along with a dish of water and some mixed greens from the front lawn in his run. I'm going to get him some probiotic yogurt tomorrow to add to the mix, to aid in the process...will this help?

Either way, I just thought I would give you all an update. Thanks for your feedback and advice thus far!!!! :)

My hamster has a playpen too, and that would be a good place to keep the guy so he is safe. I'm glad he's doing better. It still could have been a spinal injury as they will sometimes improve, but I'm beginning to think now that it is more likely he had the movement issues from malnutrition.

Rabbits do not tolerate milk products, so although a probiotic is a very good idea, a yogurt one is not a good idea. The best ones are called Bene-Bac and Probios, which can be found at pet stores and farm supply stores respectively. They're not milk-based and contain a lot of beneficial microbes. Another option is to buy human dried acidophilus capsules and break them open and add that to the KMR.

Wild bunnies go through a very difficult, very rapid change in their gut pH and microbes, as part of changing from eating milk to eating vegetables. This is where most bottle-fed babies are lost. Probiotics can really help them get through this time. Domestic rabbits have the same thing, but the change is not so drastic or rapid. Keep a close eye out for lethargy or loose stool.

No chance of finding a rescue?

Thanks for the great advice Tony!

I decided to hold off on the yogurt, and now I'm glad I did. I will have to look for some Bene-Bac or Probios tomorrow.

The stools have certainly been more frequent since I've been giving him lawn food. They kind of look like my hamster's droppings, only a bit bigger...is this normal, or should they be more rounded? Lethargy is definitely not an issue with this little guy though. The room I have him in is rabbit proof, so I let him roam during his cage cleaning. Tonight, he heard my dog barking and ran like the wind (it's good he's still timid - will make life in the wild easier).

With regards to the weaning, I'm gradually decreasing the amount of KMR I'm giving him, and supplementing it with lawn food (clover, dandelions, grass, etc). Is this what I should be doing?

On a side note, tonight when I was getting the bunny some lawn food, I heard a chirping sound on the front lawn. I followed it for about 30 minutes with a flashlight, thinking it could be his siblings, still in the nest and this was my golden opportunity to reunite him with his wild family. I began to hear these chirping sounds coming from various points in the yard, so I thought "oh great...they are spread out all over the yard"...However, my search came to an abrupt end when I saw the source of the chirping sound...a cricket :X

How is the bunny? I haven't been on here lately (fair, school starting for kid, college starting for older kid... )

Sounds like your taking good care of him, maybe just leave him with you until hes older, if his eyes were open he must have been around 10 days old, are you going to release him when he is older?

Hi all,
The bunny is doing really well! I've introduced greens to him and he's pooping like a fiend. He is really mobile and active also. I bought him some Bene-bac today to add to the formula, but when I opened the package I noticed the tubes were all sticky and smelly. Turned out they expired March 2010. By the time I noticed, the pet store had closed.
I'm going to try tomorrow to track down some newer stuff. I've bought out the entire supply of KMR in the other pet store in town over the past few weeks.

So once I get this Bene-bac into the bunny, I think I'll need to let him go. He's getting to be pretty skittish, and he's been a little nippy towards me. He's definetly wild. Now, do I let him go in the front yard where I rescued him? (it isn't the safest place for him) or do I let him go on the trail nearby my house? (it's about a half a km away).

From rehab experience eastern cottontails thrive well in their birthplace habitat. Look for a safe haven of thicket, underbrush, and wooded areas he can hide in until he grows bigger. Around your house may not be the best place if your lab is going to grab him until s/he has the fullest capacity to dart to safety. Then again, with your supervision, a well-protected spot with natural (or man-made) hiding coves will offer him better success at fully maturing!

OTOH, assistance was given to an orphan cottontail from this county and s/he was released in the city, at a friends well-protected yard. 15 miles away. She is thriving some 2+ years later, in good outdoor protection.

This recovery story just adds tons of smiles. You didn't give up in seeing him/her get better.

A cottontail licking you is somethin' else, and so?

My hubby is observing a juvey cottontail's behavior at his workplace... who recognizes voices and sounds.

We weaned by slowly diminishing the human-offered formula for cottontails, gradually cutting back over a period of 3 to 4 days and offering "lawn" food at the same time. With his/her stamina and will to survive, I hope s/he'll be A-OK.

Clover NEVER nipped but would "hike up" like a cat and threaten us and act like she would spray us! Never did tho! such silly little creatures! I'm so glad he can be returned to the wild. As sweet as Clover was, she never really tamed and I would see her looking out a window almost as if she were daydreaming.. it broke my heart.

Congrats on the wonderful care and rehab you have given this little fella!

DO NOT give yogurt. That is a very old school and improper protocol. Comes from a time that the true workings of a hind gut fermenterwere not fully understood. These guys can't tolerate a lot of lactose and most yogurt contains lactose. If you need to use a probiotic, use something like Bene Bac or Probios. If that rabbit is running around like that and is eating solids, it is ready to be released. Wild rabbits can live on their own around 14 days old. We generally release them when they are about the size of your fist. They wean very quickly since their mothers are usually already pregnant again just after they give birth and will have another litter in 28 days. The longer they stay in captivity, the more likely they will literally kill themselves trying to escape. You do have the once in a while individual that tolerates captivity but that is the exception rather than the rule. We usually release wild rabbits in the edge of a grassy field with lots of brush for cover. Release times are best just before sunrise or just before sunset.

Randy

The more protection a juvey cottontail has to hide under things, the better. Open fields can be a waving flag to soaring hawks. I'd look for good thicket, plenty of hiding spots in dense areas, brush piles, evergreens and colorado blue spruce trees... et al.
PM if I can lend any other advice.
One time a good-intended person from the shelter released a young one in an open field, and with the hawks looking for food, I highly doubt if s/he had time to find adequate cover. Hawks have extremely sharp eyesight!

Eastern cottontails might hide under decks and porches near houses, too! :) A dense row of japanese yews near office buildings and homes.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Clover NEVER nipped but would "hike up" like a cat and threaten us and act like she would spray us! Never did tho! such silly little creatures! I'm so glad he can be returned to the wild. As sweet as Clover was, she never really tamed and I would see her looking out a window almost as if she were daydreaming.. it broke my heart.

Congrats on the wonderful care and rehab you have given this little fella!
^ Same as Bo B Bunny writes. Congrats on the wonderful care and rehab.

Latest posts

Back