Help with Revolution

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
Even though my buns are outdoors, I never used anything until now, and they never had any problems. I bought Revolution for prevention but haven't used it yet.
I have 3 rather big bunnies. One is about 7lbs, one is over 10 lbs, and the third is the smallest (I would say maybe 5-6 lbs)
It's for kittens or puppies under 5lbs. Each tube contains 0.25 ml (15mg) selamectin.
Would each tube be enough for each bunny or not?
Also, is it necessary to keep them separated so that they don't lick each others medicine? for how long? Vet never said a word about it. thanks

do you agree with this
6 mg of selamectin per kg of animal body weight ?

So my 7 lbs bunny weighs 3.2kg, then one tube (15mg) is not quite enough, right?

I have never used Revolution before. It would probably be safe to contact your vet and ask them :)

What are you hoping to treat with the revolution? There are varying opinions on the appropriate way to dose rabbits with selamectin. Some veterinarians use the cat/dog dose and others prefer a higher dose for rabbits. There is also evidence that rabbits may metabolize selamectin faster than cats and dogs do and may require re-application more frequently than every 4 weeks in order to stay protected. Underdosing your rabbits won't hurt them, but may not clear up an active problem they're experiencing either.
With any topical flea medication I like to apply it to the neck where they can't reach to groom themselves and then I usually feed them or otherwise distract them. If you can do it, best to separate them for a bit while it dries too. Revolution is nice because it has a carrier that is alcohol based (if I recall correctly) and dries fairly quickly compared to some of the other products on the market.
You may know this but it's worth mentioning in any topic on topical flea products to never use frotline or another product containing the active ingredient/drug fipronil on a rabbit.

thanks. My bunnies don't seem to have any symptoms so far so it would be for prevention mostly.
I don't feel confident in what that particular vet told me. They sold me 3 pieces of Revolution for kittens under 5lbs , and said I need one per rabbit per month. But it turns out that it wouldn't be sufficient especially with such big bunnies.

I think I discovered fleas on one of my (3) rabbits. I haven/t treated them yet,
I also realized that amount of Revolution the vet sold me isn't sufficient for anything (I Have Rev for kittens under 5 lbs) - 3 tubes 15 mg each, and my buns are large.

I wonder if it's possible to return the medicine back to them for a refund - any opinions? . It's been a month since I got it and it's unopened and sealed.
As I will certainly need to treat my rabbits ASAP, should I get Revolution or maybe Advantage? what is most cost efficient? how much you pay for your prevention meds?
Could somebody please educate me about vet prescriptions in the USA? I Understand that if I get medicine from the same vet where I took my pet for exam, I don't need anything. What if I order medication online? how prescriptions work there? (I mean how do I submit it?) Do they give you any written prescriptions here so I can take it to pharmacy? or do they call and fax it there?

I have used Revolution for the past couple of summers. I let my rabbits out in an exercise pen in the grass in the summer, so I use Revolution to prevent fleas and ticks. I think it is quite expensive, but that's all relative. It cost me about $200 for 4 packs of 3. I have 3 rabbits so it lasted 4 months. My rabbits are 5 pds and under so the kitten dose is sufficient. It sounds like you need a higher dose so you'd have to calculate that or call your vet again and explain. They should have weighed your rabbits if you took them in. I had to have my rabbits seen by my vet to get approval for the prescription. Their office has an online pharmacy they are connected to so I ordered it and then the vet approved my order. I think it's the same procedure if you go with any other online pet pharmacy. You place the order and they contact your vet for the prescription.

As far as comparing Advantage to Revolution, Advantage only protects against fleas, not ticks. Revolution does both fleas and ticks.

thank you.
Can I catch fleas when handle rabbits with fleas? My bunnies are outdoors but occasionally they come indoors (usually for a short time). Indoors I have cockatiel birds, now I am worried that birds can contract fleas from the rabbits or when they land on me, in case some fleas traveled on me after handing the rabbit)
DO you think it's possible?

Fleas are so uncommon for birds that many people argue that they can't actually get them. Mites are a different story, but I wouldn't worry about the birds, especially if the only contact is indirect through you! :)

Most prescription medications should not be able to be returned, but if it's unopened flea prevention and is still within a good date your vet may take it back from you, up to them. Generally speaking it's not considered best practice to take dispensed medications back into the common stock of the hospital and re-dispense them to someone else.

You should be able to use several of the tubes you have to make up the appropriate dose for your rabbit. Some vets will prescribe the larger tubes and send home a syringe so the appropriate amount can be applied to each rabbit.

If you choose to get your revolution from a pharmacy other than your vet you will either need a prescription which you can show or fax to the right hospital or, more commonly with online pharmacies, you place an order and include the contact information for your vet and then the pharmacy contacts your vet to verify the prescription.

There are ectoparasites that humans can get from rabbits but fleas aren't generally one of them. In a true flea infestation humans will find themselves being bitten but generally the flea prefers its animal host. With basic hygiene you don't have to worry about catching fleas from your rabbit and having them live on you, but you can certainly get an infestation in your home. Frequent vacuuming is generally the best way to deal with an indoor flea infestation, especially if you have pet birds as I would be careful using the household sprays or foggers around their sensitive respiratory tracts. If you have cats or dogs in the house they should also be treated.
The birds won't be able to catch the fleas from the rabbits either.

Advantage is safe as long as you're sticking with the version that contains just imidicloprid and will work for fleas but may not help with other ectoparasites.

hi--I live in L.A., CA, near a good bunny vet who carries Revolution. It is cheaper, however, to buy on the internet.
Your vet should understand how this works but if not -- get your vet's FAX , prescription phone number and prescription email info. contact the company by phone or e-internet, and give them the time frame you need, and they will contact your vet AND send you an email that they did so. Then if you think you need to, you can remind your vet. The vet will send the prescription and the company will now charge your plastic and
will get the meds to you via the route you have chosen. Notice that I have suggested that you follow up every step of the way? yup. up to you. Which company? I have bought from two and have been completely satisfied. They carry different things. Allivet and Lambert Vet Supply. They are both in USA., both caring about the animals they serve. hope this helps.

thank you all !

Today I stopped at the vet who sold me 3 tubes for kittens (15 mg * 3 = 45mg total) to say that this amount isn't essential for even one rabbit. I had a piece of paper where I wrote down rabbits weight, recommended dosage, and my calculations. Receptionist took the paper and went to ask the vet. They had no patients at the time, and I am suspecting that the vet was probably eating her lunch (they don't close for lunch). Anyway, the receptionist came back and said that the vet verified that this is the dosage I need to use and more would be unsafe and toxic. You may ask me why I didn't ask to talk to the vet... that's a long story. This lady vet claims she is such a rabbit expert, while she is not. I previously brought my bunny with urine scald to her, and she said that the reason is that bunny is too furry and nothing needs to be done except shaving her private area from time to time. It was totally a bull**** so when I called the next day and asked why she didn't perform any tests, she was talking to me like "don't imagine being a doctor - I am a doctor here, and I know better". I had to spend more money taking my bun to the different vet with the same problem.
And now she tells me that Revolution she sold me is OK.
Honestly, I want to teach her a lesson. Where do I need to file my complain? Better business bureau or Vet association? I don't want her to have problem with the license, and after her first mistake I decided to do nothing, but not I am pissed! I wasted so much time on her, and lost money (I am not very rich)
I am in US.

I just need to add that the second vet read the article I found, and sold me 240 mg in a blister pack to use by syringe. SO I have plenty of Revolution for just $20!!! The absurd is that they didn't have my rabbits' weight so I bought a scale to weight them, but the scale measured very strange weight for me. so I am not sure if the scale is accurate.

Any advise on how to apply?

Both places I talked to about sending prescription to online pharmacies said they don't do it. IS it legal not to give me prescription?

That's great that you got some revolution.

Rabbits may likely way smaller then they look.... Perhaps you can bring them with you to a vets and use a baby scale? They should have one around for weighing cats.

Revolution is actually illegal for vets to dispense with out seeing the animal as it has heartworm medication in it.
Its more about the vet needing to see the dog/cat first so they can do a heartworm test because if the medication is given to a heartworm positive animal it will kill the animal.

Make sure you note what strength the revolution you were sold is, as some is more concentrated then others. Pink and purple revolution is a lot more dilute then plum or teal. So you would need to use a LOT less of the plum or teal then you would if you were sold pink. All still at the 18mg/kg dose.

Watermelons, thank you. I don't know what color package it was, as he just gave me one blister piece - color of aluminum foil. The concentration here is 120mg/ml and it says that it is for 40-85 lbs dogs. Obviously I will need to administer about 0.5 ml for my 7 lbs bunny. I am a little nervous that after I open the foil, I will need to administer the medicine quickly to all 3 rabbits that can be tricky.
Do I just spread out the fur on the back of the neck and squeeze out medicine there? NO need to rub? IS it liquid like water or gel-like? do I apply to one spot or several?

Any idea what I could with the vet who misled me so much?

Thumperina I too am trying to figure out how to properly dose my pair, it is stretching my brain with the ml. May I ask where you found the ml dosage by weight? Also I happen to live in Kansas too! If you are comfortable with saying the closest large city to you, I may have a good vet to recommend! The city i take my rabbits to the vet is in Wichita. Maybe you are lucky to be closest to Kansas city, I love visiting there. About the vet who was a dud I'm sorry to say I am terrible at confrontation, I probably would just find another vet.. I'm a wimp, In my head I can have great stuff to say, then..... I choke up in front of the offender. So I got nuthn:dunno. Sorry!

House full of crazy, I am in Wichita!!!
The dose is 18mg/kg, the concentration should be on the package ( how many mg is in 1 ml). I found a great article:magicwand: at k-state website about using revolution in rabbits.
It was amazing that I found an article written at the university where all our vets went to school, while I was trying to convince the vet about the dosage! I will post the link later.
If you can't figure out in cc , tell us their weight and what concentration you have.

Latest posts

Back