Help with putting my rabbits outside?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
Right now two of my buns, Popcorn and Butters, are in the garage. We're planning to move them outside, but since my mother is...herself...the process is going slowly. We've had them for three weeks today, and all we've done was fix the roof for where they're supposed to go.

In one corner of our backyard, there's a tree and a roof((that the house came with)) built between it and the fence. We're planning to put painter's plastic, I think it's called, to cover the fence on those two sides. On the other two sides((with the tree, and the front)) we're going to get plastic and staple it to the roof, then roll it up and down as needed and place bricks on it.
But that's the only part we have down.

We also know we need something to put the cage on, a run which is preferably portable((we don't do our own yardwork...and the people who do don't exactly speak english...so we don't know if we could tell them it's okay to go inside the run)), boxes for the buns, and ramps/stools so the buns can get in and out.

And we have little idea what to do. :/

Hi Snap, why are you putting them outside? Why not keep them in the house with you? Their are so many preditors that can get them outside also you have to think of the weatherespecially in the summer if it's really hit where you are. Rabbits really don't do well with extreme heat. You really have to make sure they will be VERY safe.

I just think bunnies inside get more attention and become much happier when around people. I know some on here have outside bunnies. I can think of a couple on here who spend alot of time with them, but I don't think that is the normal with outside bunnies.

Just my 2 cents.

Susan:)

They can't be put inside because my first rabbit is taking up most of the room, and my mother doesn't even like one bunny in the house. :/ Believe me, if I could I would keep them inside!

And they do get lots of attention. My mother, even though she won't let them in the house, likes to just sit and watch them and drink her coffee in the morning. We play with them all the time, since they're still in the process of getting used to people.

We're going to get them fans, and ceramic tiles as well as frozen water bottles. There's also going to be a top on the pen, since we have hawk problems here((in a neighborhood...)).

my two bunnies are free range ( hopes nothing gets lost in translation:pray:) their hutches are in the utility/shed. one half is theirs, the other ours. they have the option of staying in or going out into the garden. their garden is surrounded 6ft walls which are checked every day for signs of tunnelling. we are predator free - no hawks or buzzards. also my two have their own security team - our choc labs. buns and labs live happily together. i have used the sides of a run to give the bunnies a dog-free zone of grass.

before i got the bunnies i went on line and found out what plants were poisonous - in my case it was just bulbs which brandy choc was digging up anyway. mine are never shut out in the garden - they have access to their hutches at all times. i only open their door once ive gotten back from school run - im a housewife so am around most of the time. if i have to go out they are locked in their shed. i also lock them in at night.

this setup works for me but did take planning. as they say it's an on going situation which is under constant review:)

Latest posts

Back