Help with litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisy052104

Reaction score
We just built Holly a NIC cage and now it appears that Holly doesn't remember how to use her litter box. She poops everwhere and there are a few places that she has peed, but none of it being in her litterbox. She was in her cage from the store for around 9 months or so. Could it have something to do with the smells of the cages being different? It's the same box in the same room where she's always been. I just dont know what I can do to get her to use her box again.

Rabbits will often leave poop lying around to establish their territory. My buns have done this each time we've changed cage set-ups. It does stop after awhile, at least in my experience.

She's probably marking her new territory. :sweep...........:jumpingbunny:
Tootsie did that when we brought her home from the shelter. We set up her pen & cage in the livingroom for the first 2 weeks. She pooped everywhere and even peed in a couple of spots. After about the first week she started to use her litter pan like a pro.
When we moved her into the bunnie room, it was the same thing all over again.

Keep putting those errant poops back into her litter box. If you catch her pooping/peeing, put her in her litter box. No scolding though.....just be patient. She'll catch on.

~Jim

JimD wrote:
Keep putting those errant poops back into her litter box. If you catch her pooping/peeing, put her in her litter box. No scolding though.....just be patient. She'll catch on.

~Jim
I've been putting the poops in there. I just didnt know if there was anything I could do to try to encourage her to use her box again.

daisy052104 wrote:
JimD wrote:

~Jim
I've been putting the poops in there. I just didnt know if there was anything I could do to try to encourage her to use her box again.
I postioned the hay racks over their litter boxes and that seemed to work well. Eating & pooping at the same time,is something that bunnies do very well. :D

Its marking their territory, im having problems with litter training Leon, the first week i taught him to poo and wee in there but he still pooed and weed all over the place, but now i changed his litter and he isnt using it. After a couple of weeks she should be ok.

Her water bottle is positioned right next to it as it was before. She used to always drink from it while sitting in her box. Right now she sits in front of it and drinks.

old cage
Hollyresting2.jpg

new cage
DSC03830.jpg

DSC03831.jpg

:yeahthat

I think the only reason that any of Mocha's poops land in the litterbox is that the hay rack is in it.

It might help to put some of her poops or a urine-soaked paper towel in the litterbox, to remind her. But my buns always get temporarily more messy after a change like that.

naturestee thats is an exellent idea

you beat me to it

whenever i change lucys litter tray

i always put abit of soiled litter

into her tray to tell her it is hers

varna xxxx

Latest posts

Back