Help with Kit Colors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sav

Reaction score
To any experienced breeders, wanted to get your thoughts on possible colors of these babies? They’re two days old, so fur has started to come in a bit but not a ton. The doe is a tort (ee) that carries blue, and the buck is a Himalayan (dilute recessives unknown, EE or Ee). Did this breeding for my sable point line, and I’m missing the non extension gene (ee) in my sables, and plan to use these kits (carry Himalayan), so was really hoping for a tort out of the litter but I believe may all be black? I can’t tell for sure simply because the two towards the left seem to be a different color than the two to the right? At least to my untrained eyes.

For more info, they are Mini Rex. And, we’re only taken from their nest for a moment for the picture before placed back in their nest (so, no worries, all are fine and cozy in their mama’s fur).

r5Flgvp.png

I’m more than fine with waiting the additional days for their fur to come in to know, but am very curious if there are any tell tell signs that may point towards other colors? It seems as if the two to the left have a lighter brown color near their neck as well as lighter noses (though no trace of the typical agouti coloration).

They look like blacks to me. They're much too dark to be dilutes or anything like that. Another possible color is self chinchilla - if your tort carries chinchilla, the babies might be self chinchillas that carry himalayan, which are often browish/faded in color compared to true blacks and look more like seals. I'd still guess on them all being blacks though.

They also look all black to me, they should be 6-7 weeks now could you share some pics of them now?

They all ended up passing at around 10 days, sadly. Though, I’m not quite sure how? I assume it was because of the size of the nest box, or perhaps the doe? I had gotten two does for these lines, this tort gal being one, and both were first timers/not proven, so an additional breeding has been scheduled between the dam and sire of this litter. However, being that this color seems to be prevalent, I can definitely share some photos of the next litter!

Sorry to hear that, what age they were? Did they die all same day?

10 days, and yes, they did. I believe it was due to the size of the nest box? I used a larger, spare one I had and often found them scattered throughout when checking on them, but all looked full and fed whenever I did regroup them. Just crossing my fingers that the next litter is a success.

Maybe they were cold then. You could put a piece of wood or cardboard box into nestbox to divide it if it's too big that could help with keeping them all together so they can warm each other.

Latest posts

Back