Help with housemates

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne Armstrong

Reaction score
So I have a dwarf rabbit (Lucky) and a guinea pig (Saul) who's partner just passed away due to a heart problem. Can I put the guinea in with the dwarf rabbit? I do have 3 adult rabbits but I'm not sure about putting Saul with any of them as 2 are very dominant bucks and my doe is very hutch territorial. I don't want Saul to be alone as I know guineas don't like to be alone. And Lucky is only very little and very friendly. Or should I just get another guinea? I'm unsure as I know guineas have to be bonded to live together. And I have had guineas live with other bunnies I have had years ago as a child. I just don't want Saul or Lucky to get hurt.
I have posted a pic of Lucky with our cat Tigger-Bella so you get an idea of how small she is

Attachments

• 2ECBFCC9-1010-4078-B794-9307B6B687DB.jpeg
    2ECBFCC9-1010-4078-B794-9307B6B687DB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 327A917E-E678-4305-9144-1631BCBDDE64.jpeg
    327A917E-E678-4305-9144-1631BCBDDE64.jpeg
    491.4 KB · Views: 0
I will do, as you can see from the picture Lucky gets along with our cat and other 3 rabbits, and even my daughter's french bulldog. I will just let them play in the house together and see if any issues arise. I just hate to think of Saul alone

I also have buns and piggies, I think if the cage was big enough and there were hides your pig could go into to get away from the bunny they would be fine to live together for a short time, in the long run I think getting another Guinea pig would be worth it. Your bunny is so tiny and precious! Keep in mind they eat different things, bunnies need a bowl and guineas need a bottle, one might hog all the food… when I feed my buns and pigs together the piggies don’t share. 🙃

DO NOT HOUSE RABBITS WITH GUINEA PIGS.

This is very dangerous to do for multiple reasons (see link). We had a member on this forum years ago who disregarded this advice and swore her rabbit and piggie were the best of buds and did wonderfully together. That all changed with the rabbit's one inadvertent happy binky. The rabbit's binky kicked the piggie. One or two broken ribs and internal injuries is what the piggie suffered.

The two species also don't share the same "language." So one can get stressfully frustrated when the other doesn't respond the way a member of their own species would. The link explains other dangers as well including how one species can be a silent carrier of what can harm or kill the other.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pigs-and-rabbits-why-not.109097/

Latest posts

Back