Help with ear scab/scratching

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambobunny

Reaction score
I’ve had Rambo now for about a month now who we keep as a free roaming indoor bunny. I noticed he was scratching a lot and recently shaking his head. I took him to the vets two days ago and they checked his ears and took a skin sample but couldn’t find any mites and said his ears looked healthy. They gave me Xeno 450 to try to see if it helps and gave him his first dose yesterday.
I checked on him today and he does seem to be itching a bit less however I noticed a small scab in his ear which I think is from over scratching (he was doing this a lot yesterday!)
Is there anything I should do for it? It looks a little red around the ear so not sure if I should leave it alone as I used the spot on on him yesterday. Appreciate your help! :)

Attachments

• AB21C7F8-B65D-4C5E-B523-CEB670570CF7.jpeg
    AB21C7F8-B65D-4C5E-B523-CEB670570CF7.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 3
If it's not bad I would just leave it alone. Though if in doubt it's best to consult with your vet. Did the vet also check for a possible ear infection as the cause? Middle or inner ear infections can cause similar symptoms of head shaking and scratching at the ears, but have no visible signs of pus in the external ear canal.

Medirabbit: ear infection clinical signs and treatment

If you don't see any improvement of symptoms from the mite treatment, I would strongly urge seeing a knowledgeable rabbit vet to check for a possible ear infection, if your vet isn't an experienced rabbit vet. I believe the Beaumont clinic near your location, has experienced rabbit vets.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

If it's not bad I would just leave it alone. Though if in doubt it's best to consult with your vet. Did the vet also check for a possible ear infection as the cause? Middle or inner ear infections can cause similar symptoms of head shaking and scratching at the ears, but have no visible signs of pus in the external ear canal.

Medirabbit: ear infection clinical signs and treatment

If you don't see any improvement of symptoms from the mite treatment, I would strongly urge seeing a knowledgeable rabbit vet to check for a possible ear infection, if your vet isn't an experienced rabbit vet. I believe the Beaumont clinic near your location, has experienced rabbit vets.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
Thanks for getting back to me about this and for your advice. The vet did check for an ear infection and said that his ears looked healthy. He had a scratchy day yesterday which is when he did it. I’m just keeping an eye on him today and he seems a lot calmer and not scratching as much so hopefully the spot on treatment is helping.
I will continue to keep an eye on him and if he’s getting worse will contact the vet :) Thank you!

Thanks for getting back to me about this and for your advice. The vet did check for an ear infection and said that his ears looked healthy. He had a scratchy day yesterday which is when he did it. I’m just keeping an eye on him today and he seems a lot calmer and not scratching as much so hopefully the spot on treatment is helping.
I will continue to keep an eye on him and if he’s getting worse will contact the vet :) Thank you!
It seems like the treatment is working. In my case I followed it up every 2 weeks for 4 weeks totalling 3 applications in all. I used Advocate. My vet would have given an antibiotic also. Then look again in 2 weeks and so forth. Not easy to stay Best friends When having to inspect ears.

It seems like the treatment is working. In my case I followed it up every 2 weeks for 4 weeks totalling 3 applications in all. I used Advocate. My vet would have given an antibiotic also. Then look again in 2 weeks and so forth. Not easy to stay Best friends When having to inspect ears.
But she is so much happier now.

Glad to hear she’s a lot happier now! The vet did say that I should notice a difference after the second and third application and if it doesn’t help then it’s a trip back to the vets. I just hate to see him scratching his ears when there’s a scab :(

Latest posts

Back