Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspen’sbuns

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if someone could pretty please give me some tips on how I can get my bunny to stop digging. She has nice turf laid in her pen, and has completely dug it all up!! It’s now becoming a muddy mess!

She is 8 almost 9 months old. The digging started about 2-3 weeks ago. It is spring time currently where we live, so I understand it could be spring fever however I would really like to find some solution, as she just won’t stop!!!

Thank you so much!

Turf as in actual grass :) It was so nice and lush, and now she has completely and utterly destroyed it!

I take it she is an outdoor rabbit. Rabbits are diggers. It is in their nature. It is also why any outdoor enclosure should have a mesh wire or similar below the dirt to prevent digging out. Either that or concrete or solid flooring.

You could try an outdoor version of a dig box that may distract her from grassy areas. Maybe provide a timber-framed dirt area just for digging (with a proper bottom below the dirt to prevent digging of tunnels).

My main concern would be her digging out of her enclosure.

I take it she is an outdoor rabbit. Rabbits are diggers. It is in their nature. It is also why any outdoor enclosure should have a mesh wire or similar below the dirt to prevent digging out. Either that or concrete or solid flooring.

You could try an outdoor version of a dig box that may distract her from grassy areas. Maybe provide a timber-framed dirt area just for digging (with a proper bottom below the dirt to prevent digging of tunnels).

My main concern would be her digging out of her enclosure.
Thank you @Blue eyes!! Yes she is an outdoor rabbit, and she is part of a trio. They live in a huge shed and run setup. Under the run (The shed has flooring obviously) there is wire all around, the hutch/run set up was placed on a wired base that is dug under the ground, so there is no worry at all of her digging out :) It's more that it is just making a mess. I also feel bad for my male bunny, as it was his house before we bonded him with the two girls, and he loved having all of the nice lush grass. It died back a bit over winter, but it is just now that one of my girls has really started digging.

Latest posts

Back