Help with bunny diet and poop control

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimsybunny

Reaction score
hi all,
my little bunny is three and half months old and i've been trying to figure out when i start limiting her pellet availability to her. My biggest concern with it is hoping that the amount of poops she poops will start to go down alittle. She is litter trained and wont pee anywhere but her box which is amazing but she still poops outside where her chew toys are and sometimes while hopping around.

Basically i just want to know when i should start controlling pellets and adding produce to her diet and when this does happen if she will stop pooping so much throughout the day?
Thank you

Bunnies tend to be little fertilizer machines, and it's important for their health that they do poop throughout the day. Be sure to offer her unlimited hay in her litterbox, they often munch hay and pass pellets, so that may help keep more in the box!

her litter box is always filled to the brim with hay and she has hay baskets around the apartment for her to munch on.

I just need to know when i should start limiting her pellet intake and introducing her to fresh veggies.

You can let her taste a little bit of veggies and slowly build it up, myself reduced the pellets when the droppings started to change character.

Bunnies poop a lot and scattering the droppings is a way to show her territory, it will become less after the hormones calms down and with spaying. Myself is still cleaning up droppings after one of my neutered bucks but at least he leave them in the cage or just outside his litter box, so easy cleaning up and dump in the litter box again 😊

It's usually around the age of 6-7 months that pellets are limited. She is already old enough to start slowly introducing greens. That needs to be done slowly. You can see a list of greens safe for daily feeding and which ones should be offered less often at this link:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html
As for poos, that isn't likely to change. If she gets spayed, that could make her more consistent, but it is pretty typical for a rabbit to drop the occasional poos outside their box. They produce so many every day that it is the rare rabbit that is 100% with poos in the litter box.

You can let her taste a little bit of veggies and slowly build it up, myself reduced the pellets when the droppings started to change character.

Bunnies poop a lot and scattering the droppings is a way to show her territory, it will become less after the hormones calms down and with spaying. Myself is still cleaning up droppings after one of my neutered bucks but at least he leave them in the cage or just outside his litter box, so easy cleaning up and dump in the litter box again 😊

Yeah she only poops around her box and around her chew toys typically in the same spots. When she was younger she had veggies and it turned into her producing soooo many cecotropes so i'm nervous to start her early again. It wasn't a huge deal to me until it was starting to get stuck in her fur.

It's usually around the age of 6-7 months that pellets are limited. She is already old enough to start slowly introducing greens. That needs to be done slowly. You can see a list of greens safe for daily feeding and which ones should be offered less often at this link:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html
As for poos, that isn't likely to change. If she gets spayed, that could make her more consistent, but it is pretty typical for a rabbit to drop the occasional poos outside their box. They produce so many every day that it is the rare rabbit that is 100% with poos in the litter box.

Thank you so much that helped alot and yeah she poops alot in her box too and theres always clumps lying around in certain spots its def better than when we first got her

My bunny is close to the same age. She mostly goes in her pan. I have noticed that especially in the morning and late at night if I let her out she goes more on the floor. She likes 1 corner especially. I have read that mainly they potty train themselves and to limit letting them free range. Getting her trained in her area first, then open her area a bit more etc. I have read that bunnies need unlimited hay and pellets for the first year. Lucy pooped at least 30 pellets in her exercise pen in 10 minutes!!!! I just keep picking them up.

Nicole

[QUOTE="pimsybunny] if she will stop pooping so much throughout the day?
[/QUOTE]
This priceless I needed a good laugh thank you :))

Hi, as others already said and I will add that I am very happy and proud when they poop a lot and when they do less it's time to worry really.

Sorry, I understand what you mean that you'd like to reduce amount of poos going outside the box, this depends on how you train her and also her age now is she might be hormonal and spaying should help with this.

I start limiting pellets around 4-4,5 months I just feel around that age they start getting fatter so I reduce pellets. But some say 6-7 months it may depend on your own rabbit just see if there's excess of cecotropes it might mean that her diet is too rich and it is good time to reduce protein.

I start greens around that time as well, sometimes earlier, I would try with one type of greens/vegs at a time and only small amount, then you will know which one is suitable for her and which one can cause upset stomach or something.

Latest posts

Back