help with breed id please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keamonson

Reaction score
Hi. We have a male neutered bunny that we purchased last yearat a locally owned pet store.He was a leftover from Easter 2005. I felt so bad for him-picked over and left alone. Anyway, Mr. BunBun is his name and he is a "Peter's" rabbit from Marshall Farms which I now suspect is a rabbit mill. He was born in January 2005 and was probably at the pet storeby aroundaround 8 weeks old - already neutered!! Now, I'm not sure how that was done,but at the time I didn't know that neutering isn't supposed to happen that early. I was just glad that it had been done already.

We haven't had any health problems with him. He's never had any "teenage" or "hormonal" attitude problems. He's been very even tempered. He doesn't like to be picked up, and he actually prefers petting to be done in his cage. When he's out in my son's room, he will only hop over to you for a second or two before he hops away again. Unless, that is, if you have some food. Then, he'll sit and eat and let you pet him.

Anyway, I was wondering what type of mix he is. He's about 2- 3 pounds in weight, mostly white but with some grey on ears and around eyes and on his back side and back legs. His eyes are brown except for a little rim of blue on his left eye.

I would like to get a companion for him, but there are no bunny rescues in my area, (Mobile, Alabama). Anyway, I'll ask for help with that later.

Thanks,

Kristi

xnclro.jpg

xncm61.jpg

xncmee.jpg

xncmjt.jpg

xncmqw.jpg

xnd75g.jpg

xnd7gi.jpg

xnd7ix.jpg

xnd7r9.jpg

xnd81z.jpg

I'm no expert but from the markings, the length of the ears in relation to the body, and the general weight you gave, I would suspect that your bunny may be a mix between a Dutch and a Dwarf. Have you asked the store where you got him?

He's an adorable bunny though. :)

Blyre

He's absolutely adorable! I agree with Blyre -- he appears to be a Dwarf mix.

Could even have some Dwarf Hotot mixed in. Those markings and sable color occasionally crop up in the Dwarf Hotots. They are slightly larger than Netherland Dwarfs.

Pam

Thanks for the replies. Well, about asking the pet store...I don't think that they're real knowledgeable as far as rabbits are concerned. We are in the store a lot and I've talked to the man in charge of the small animals (the same on that helped me a year ago when I bought him) about getting a companion for Mr. BunBun. His advice was not to get another rabbit. Here are his reasons: it's just twice as much work, andI most probably won't be able to cage them together. Also, he said that they've stopped ordering the Peter's rabbits from Marshall Farms (although there was one there yesterday) and instead are going to get local rabbits (backyard breeders I guess). He said that the price of the Peter's was too high and the quality was not there to justify the cost.Anyway, the rabbits they have been getting in now are not altered. When I asked the man about where to get a female spayed, he said that it really wouldn't be safe to do that.He didn't recommend it. So, as you can see, he wasn't giving be the best advice.

Thanks,

Kristi

It's true that rabbits kept together may fight because they are very territorial, however, spaying/neutering is a very safe operation when performed by a rabbit savy veterinarian.

Pam

Latest posts

Back