help with bread doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fire22

Reaction score
Hello my name is James I am new to this forum. I have a question about a doe I bread on dec 25. The doe is in a hutch that has a box built on the end of it on about the 9th or 10th of jan about two weeks after she was breadshe pulled a little fur.Then about the 15th she started to build nest like crazy. I read somewhere that this could be sign o false pregnancy she has kept her nest up. And is due to kindle Tuesday any thoughts? Should i expect a litter? I haven't given up on her having the litter just wandering if you think she is bread.Is thisnormal if they have nest box before the 28th day to build this early?

I bred some does on the 28th of Dec. also...One of mine pulled some fur and when I palpated her, she is preg.At this stage, you should be able to put your hands under her on her belly and push in gently with your fingers (don't just push with you finger tips, keep your fingers flat). If you have patience, you should feel them kick or just changing position. Do NOT push in too far as you do not want to cause damage to the kits.

Good Luck and let us know what happens.

Sharon

Hi,

I bred my doe on December 23. And she began building a nest about two weeks into the pregnancy. No fur pulled though.

She gave birth at about 12:30am this morning, so I would wait and see. She started pulling fur about 15 minutes before giving birth.

I would leave her nest there and wait till after the due date.

Sharon also had a good point about being able to feel the babies. I could see the babies moving around anytime Wildfire was lying stretched out, and feel them if I put my hands on her belly.

I wouldn't give up hope yet, as the nest is still intact. I think she probably would have destroyed it if she wasn't still pregnant.

--Dawn

I would continue to watch her and see what happens. If she hasn't destroyed her nest, there is a good chance that she is pregnant, particularly if she is larger than she was before and if she seems grumpy. I also bred a doe on 12/25(Miss Bea) and I'm a bit nervous about this litter as she is HUGE. She's been grumpy for a bit and sleepy too...so I know she did get bred.

Don't forget too that a doe can go over her due date. I've heard of some situations where a doe went 38 days.

I don't know if this is her first litter or not - but I had a doe that started building her nest almost 2 weeks before her litter was born. They turned out great and she was an excellent mama...she just wanted her nest built early. (Miss Bea builds her nest about an hour before she delivers).

I guess my point is that each doe is different - just keep an eye on your doe and you'll find out pretty soon whether or not she's pregnant!

Peg

Thanks to all that replied. She had 8 healthy kits this morning they all look to be doing well.

Wow...that is WONDERFUL! I'm so excited for you. I forgot to ask what breed your doe is....

Miss Bea is making me wait...she'll probably have hers within the next 24 hours or so...at least I hope so!

Peg

fire22 wrote:
She is Californian.
Oh wow....I'm sure her babies are bigger than Miss Bea's will be. My biggest litter so far (trying to think here) is7...and I've had that just a few times recently. Frequently though it is 3 or 4 or sometimes even 2.

So - are you breeding for a show? Just curious...

Anyway - I think that is GREAT that you have 8 new babies...WOW!

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
fire22 wrote:
She is Californian.
Oh wow....I'm sure her babies are bigger than Miss Bea's willbe. My biggest litter so far (trying to think here) is7...and I've had that just a few times recently. Frequentlythough it is 3 or 4 or sometimes even 2.

So - are you breeding for a show? Just curious...

Anyway - I think that is GREAT that you have 8 new babies...WOW!

Peg
My father in law had a heart transplant and is on a very sticked diet that includes rabbit this litter is for him.

Aha....I understand.

I hope your litter is still ok - I'm assuming that they are!

Peg

Haven't lost any so far but the weather hear in Iowa is very mild 37 today. She had 11 last fall and raised them all. She is a good mom. Did Miss Bea have hers or are you still waiting.

Still waiting...and waiting.....and waiting.

She was only due yesterday and she has kindled late before.I'm checking her every few hours but there weren't any babies the last time I checked! :(

Peg

Good news just got off the phone with a lady that has three daughters in 4H she wants three don't know what to charge. Any suggestions?

fire22 wrote:
Good news just got off the phone with a lady that has three daughters in 4H she wants three don't know what to charge. Any suggestions?
I have no idea at all....sory. Perhaps someone who raises them can tell you...

Good luck figuring out a price!

Peg

Miss Bea should have her babies fairly soon....she has made a nest in the cat condo in our closet....I can hardly wait to see her babies.

Latest posts

Back