Help! wisdom, advice and encouragement on amputation!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotaCocoaPuff

Reaction score
Hi all,

My boy is facing amputation of his left hind leg next week. This was a hard decision but one that I feel will provide him the best quality of life.
About 21/2 months ago I notice a growth on his hind leg, hock area. We initially started with antibiotics and a small incision and drainage. This did nothing and after 3 weeks he went in to have it surgically removed. I knew this would be risky due to location as well as the size; it had actually gotten bigger awaiting surgery during the week of being off antibiotics.
The vet called me post-op stating that it was the strangest growth she'd seen but she felt it was definitely not cancer (biopsy confirmed). She did say that whatever it was it was highly infectious and absolutely the right call to remove it. (It was a bacteria commonly found in oral abscesses) The only issue was that she could not close the wound due to the location, size and lack of tissue. Working with wounds for a living this was not an issue... until recently. Over the past almost 2 weeks the wound has deteriorated to the point that his bone and main tendon are involved and basically necrotic. Excellent daily wound care and IM antibiotics were not enough as the infection had already gotten into his tendon and bone. And the pain he is in! To watch my poor guy be in pain is terrible!

Sooooooo... I'm trying to get some words of wisdom, advice and encouragement as I anxiously await his surgery in a week. Does anyone have experience with going through an amputation? How long did it take for the incision to heal? Did he/she adapt well? What accommodations did you make for your bun?
My guy is free-range so he does his own thing. I'm so nervous but know its the best thing he him. He's already basically getting around on 3 legs due to the discomfort. Thanks everyone!

Hi, I am very sorry to hear that your little boy is going through such a nightmare. Don't have any experience myself so can't advise, if you really trust your vet and she really has experience with rabbits you should listen to her, but I would find another vet just to get second opinion on this and try to find rabbit savvy vet there was a list of rabbit savvy vets somewhere in health section you can check in your area. Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back