Help! Wild rabbits nest in yard

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackenzie Gulley

Reaction score
so yesterday my brother and I discovered a rabbits nest in our yard... only because my dog found it first and got one in his mouth, and well, I’ll let you figure the rest out. He messed up the nest a bit but I was able to put it back together and I fenced it off so he cant stick his nose in and get more as snacks.
There’s maybe 3 in the nest and they are all under 10 days since their eyes are closed. Last night I put a ring of flour around the nest to check if the mother came back and it was inconclusive so now I put dental floss in an x formation to check if she comes back today or tomorrow .
We’re monitoring my dog in the yard until the nest is empty , which i figure is 3-4 weeks? But what do we do in the mean time?
My block is susceptible to street flooding and sometimes our yard will flood with heavy heavy rain and the nest is right in the line of fire, do I relocate them? How will the mother know where they went? What happens if the mother doesn’t come back and how can you help the bunnies survive? I have a small umbrella handy for when it rains today to help keep them dry.
I really really want to help them since my dog snacked on one and I feel it’s my responsibility to help.

More info:
My dog is a 1 year old beagle/lab mix
I live in the suburbs of Chicago Illinois and live a block away from a creek that hosts a lot of wildlife (so my dog isn’t the only predator, coyotes and foxes, etc) and also ranges for miles and miles across Illinois

Attachments

• F45F1EB6-517C-47DA-B43F-F173C8A7B20A.jpeg
    F45F1EB6-517C-47DA-B43F-F173C8A7B20A.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 12
I feel the same way with the rabbits around my yard, but I think it's best to let nature take its natural direction. (Disclaimer: I might have the neighborhood rabbits trained to come for food when I call, so my definition of "natural direction" may be somewhat arbitrary.)

Rabbits are prolific breeders, and lagomorphs have existed for millions of years because they've evolved to survive.

And, unfortunately, hand-rearing kits is, for all practical purposes, simply not possible.

Just trust the wild animals' instincts... even if nature may appear cruel and uncaring from our perspective.

The best you can do is make sure your dog has no access at all to that area.
I thought they make nests underground.
Can mom penetrate thru the fence? ( i know wild rabbits are so slim they can fit thru some rather small holes)

Latest posts

Back