Help, wild baby rabbit will not eat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah1738

Reaction score
So, I’m aware that this website is focused towards domestic rabbits, but I’m having a problem involving a wild rabbit. On April 5th, (4 days ago) a rabbit gave birth to 6 bunnies in my yard. We kept our distance and did not touch the nest. Fast forward to today, it was VERY windy and the grass/fur covering the nest was mostly blown off. I looked at the bunnies to see how they were doing, and all but one of the six were dead. The only one alive was skinny and freezing so I ended up taking him inside and putting him in a box with towels and some of the fur from the nest. When I first took him in he was making noises and opening his mouth, I gave him some warm water to help warm him up while I waited for my dad to come home with the kitten milk replacement. He had about 1 cc/ml of kmr but that was all I could get him to take. I gave him some time to sleep and tried again in about an hour. He will not drink any more kmr and I tried to give him some fruit juice with no added sugar (pinneapple juice), but he was not interested either. I tried to help him go to the bathroom, but nothing happened. He will not move much and seems very weak. He is currently sleeping and seems to be not cold, but not warm either. I’m very worried and I have taken care of wild rabbits before, but never one this young. If you have any suggestions I would definitely try.

Attachments

• C7D30F70-6FB4-4F01-85BE-D8FACA4CA453.jpeg
    C7D30F70-6FB4-4F01-85BE-D8FACA4CA453.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 7
Make sure he is warm, if not then I would warm him up holding him against my skin or using a warm pack(not overly hot). A hypothermic rabbit won't eat.

Once he is warm then would be the time to attempt feeding, very carefully so as to minimize the chances of aspiration occuring. If he won't eat then it's likely he already has deteriorated too much. In the link is some info on taking care of baby cottontails. If he's still alive by morning, best thing would be to find a wildlife rehabber to take him, though I know right now alot are closed to taking in any new animals so you might not be able to find one. Best of luck. I hope the little one makes it.
https://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm

Latest posts

Back