Help! What should I get my mum for her birthday?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
I love buying presents for people and normally I can pick out something good, but my mum is SO HARD to buy stuff for.

She's going to be turning 44. She's very...er, how do I put it...well she drives a loud lowered turbo car, she's very slim and attractive, she dresses young and stylish, she's pretty cool really. She isn't your typical 'mum' type. She has a terrible temper and will happily yell and swear at the McDonalds workers if they get her order wrong :p.

She likes gardening but her garden is already stuffed full of plants. She already says she doens't want any garden pots or tools or anything like that. I nosied in the bathroom and she already has truckloads of makeup, girly shower products, expensive shampoo etc.

She's one of these people that spends so much money on herself already that I'm at a total loss as to what to get her.

Because she smokes I was thinking maybe a really pretty cigarette tin or something, but that seems boring :(. She already has a nice purse, cell phone, camera, bla bla bla.

I know she likes African themed stuff, but she already has a lot of that and last year I got her a large girafe thing so I want to try something different. She did see this giant metal gecko thing you hang on an outside wall that she loved, so I might go back and see how much it costs.

Jewellery was another thought I had but she's got incrdibly sensitive skin and it has to be solid silver else she gets a reaction to it, and I'm not rich enough to afford anything decent :p.

I asked her what she wanted but she said she didn't know, and she'd tell me when she did, but it's her birthday next Tuesday and I want to hurry up and get something. It's labour day weekend here this weekend and the shops ate a nightmare with all the specials and sales going on.

:panic:

I just want to get her something cool! :help

Michelle

Does she have a fav. old or new TV show?
You could buy her a season of it.

OR, how about season tickets to a local theatre? Or just to a show she wanted to see?

Gift certificate for a spa day. A home spa device?
Some ppl like getting a bottle of their fav. hooch.

I think that if she has so much stuff, maybe she'd appreciate an experience over more stuff...
Hot air balloon ride?

I was gonna say some posh beauty stuff, but you say she already has lots of that....

How about a voucher for a massage/facial/pedicure/manicure etc? Haircut? Would she enjoy that? Make sure it's a voucher, then she HAS to use it for that to treat herself! :)

Any books/music she likes? Bands she loves that might be touring? (I say this because my mum would die to see Elton John so I'm always on the lookout for tickets lol...)

Erm.... a picture/painting? Does she like art and stuff? Or is there any particular picture she loves that you could have enlarged and framed for her maybe?

I came out with all those, but you can bet a million pounds that I'll be asking the same thing come February when it's my mum's birthday lol! :p

This year for my Mums birthday I gave her a Pimms set... I bought a bottle of Pimms and lemonade and bought all the fruit and veg and mint for the Pimms, including a big jug. I arranged it all in a basket with hay and stuff on the bottom and it looked really good! Could you do something like that? Like pick a theme and make a basket. Like a 'girls night in' with her favourite girly film and some chocolate etc that you could share together?

Fran
pics%20072.jpg
:) :hearts :brownbunny

Thanks for the ideas! :D

I'm not sure what Pimms is? The gift basket idea is neat though, she's very much into coffee so I was thinking perhaps do the same thing with some nice coffee cups and some fancy coffees.

She doesn't like music or TV that I know of (doesn't even have a VCR let alone a DVD player), she loves reading though, ooh I could get a bunch of secondhand books :shock:! That would work, she'd love that!

Mum's definetly not a girly-girl, in fact I would more describe her as a moody teenager lol! :p I feel more like the mother sometimes, she does a lot of silly things. She's always been kind of imature. But she's really generous and would do anything for me, so I want to show some appreciation.

Pimms is an alcoholic drink, hard to describe, but over here you mix it with fruit and sometimes lemonade, in a big jug. It's like the ultimate summer drink, and when you have Pimms, it's 'Pimms 'o'cock'! :p I'm not a big fan of it but I will drink it if it's going lol :D

If she likes coffee, does she have a coffe maker? Like a proper filter thing..... I forget what they're called.... a percolator? :? Getting lost here lol.... That could be expensive, but there may be some affordable ones as well...

You say she's well-dressed- is there a shop of hers you could get her a voucher for? Or maybe take her there, buy her something she likes and take her for lunch or something?

I know what you mean about it being difficult though. My mum is not girly, but she loves bath/beauty products. She's easily pleased with chocolates and flowers, but I like to try and do better than that. If I do though, I get told off for spending too much money on 'little old me!' Quite often I'll get her something that looks fairly expensive, but wasn't really, and she'll do the whole 'you shouldn't have!' thing SO much that I'll end up telling her what a bargain it really was lol :?

NZminilops wrote:
I'm not sure what Pimms is? The gift basket idea is neat though, she's very much into coffee so I was thinking perhaps do the same thing with some nice coffee cups and some fancy coffees.
Pimms_jug.jpg

Anyone for Pimms? Pimms O'Clock! I love it!

The coffee thing sounds good. Get a nice basket and put some shredded paper (or 'worms' as my Mum calls them) and then buy her some nice coffees. You could go to Starbucks too and buy some syrups and stuff?

Fran
pics%20072.jpg
:) :hearts :brownbunny

You could combine the coffee basket and books idea...throw some books in the basket and she'd have a nice drink to have while reading her new book!

*Drools Gah I freaking love Pimms, Michelle serious go try some its soo yum with the lemonade and all the cucumber on a hots summers day at the beach. COuld you get her something you could do together or like a home facial thing and some chick flicks and tolberone or some delicious chocolate.

how bout a "girls night out"?

just you and mom.....take her to dinner, a show.....

or find an amusement park or the zoo....

how bout a back to the "decade of your choice"

when she was a kid...and do the kid type stuff...so like if it was the eighties...

an 80's mix tape..legwarmers, rubic's cube, ect

:faint:

I just turned 45.I feel really old! I'm older than your mother....... :(

One of my most favorite things I got for a gift last year was a pretty 3 spacepicture frame with a picture of Lexi and Tony and one of Luke and his sheep in it. I really liked that it included 2 of the pictures it needed and they were special to me.

Another one that I got a couple of years ago was a nice wrought iron book stand and cookie baking book that fit into it. I'm known for baking cookies and it was very special for the person to think of something like that! I loved it.

The pimms looks nice! Looks like something I'd buy for someone else then end up drinking myself :p.

She would hate a girly night in OR out :(, she's not like me really, we are quite different. I love nothing more than curling up on the couch watching a movie and eating chocolate but she'd give me a funny look if I suggested that :p. She will go out sometimes with me and my brother for dinner but not really with one of us alone. She doesn't even have a telephone because she doesn't like people calling her, she thinks they are 'keeping too close of an eye' on what she's up to.

Pennie you're not old, mum got pregnant with me when she was 17, and besides she's so much smaller and better looking than I am! My male friends always perve at her.

She's gone away with her husband for the weekend so I can't keep nagging her about what she wants, so I'm going to go search the second-hand stores for neat stuff. One close by has the most awesome things that look new but don't cost much - my car broke down yesterday and needs about $200 spend on it so I'm a bit broke now :grumpy:.

Michelle

P.S PepnFluff are you old enought to be drinking booze? :p

Latest posts

Back