Help! Wet discharge from eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CayrisAndCoco

Reaction score
Hi, my rabbit Coco has wet fur around her eyes and they sometimes get crusty. I have been cleaning around them with warm water on a cotton pad but it won't go away. I think it is weepy eye and I just wanted to get an opinion from someone on here. If someone knows how to treat it at home, that would be very helpful as right now I can't really afford a trip to the vet, but I will do anything it takes to keep my baby healthy.

Do you have any pictures? It's hard to know without seeing exactly what's going on. Does your rabbit appear to be uncomfortable or in pain? Is she holding her eyes open normally? Is she sneezing, coughing, or wheezing?

A vet trip may be necessary, but let's see if we can figure it out... I know how expensive they can be and sometimes we can help on here or at least give you a ballpark for cost and treatment if not.

Since it's both eyes, it's probably not an injury, rather an infection, an immune response, or an environmental issue. Check her teeth, I've seen eye problems that were linked to bad teeth. If you buy really dusty hay, that could be a cause. How long has it been going on?

Do you have any pictures? It's hard to know without seeing exactly what's going on. Does your rabbit appear to be uncomfortable or in pain? Is she holding her eyes open normally? Is she sneezing, coughing, or wheezing?

A vet trip may be necessary, but let's see if we can figure it out... I know how expensive they can be and sometimes we can help on here or at least give you a ballpark for cost and treatment if not.

Since it's both eyes, it's probably not an injury, rather an infection, an immune response, or an environmental issue. Check her teeth, I've seen eye problems that were linked to bad teeth. If you buy really dusty hay, that could be a cause. How long has it been going on?
I don't have any pictures at the moment but I will try and get some for you. She do not look to be in any pain and is acting normally. It is not too bad. She looks completely normal and is not coughing or anything. I checked her teeth and they are fine. Coco is free roam in my bedroom. I buy Timothy hay off my local farm but I am going to switch to orchard grass because it is cheaper and less dusty. I think it has been going on for a couple of weeks but I am not really sure. I just recently noticed. Also, I thought I should just ask, is it normal for a spayed female rabbit to be humping a stuffed bear? She is doing it right now and its quite funny!

The humping is normal 🤣 ! Probably a sign she isn't feeling too bad also! Definitely keep cleaning them, although maybe try a saline solution (like for contacts) instead of water on the swab. If her eyes are already a little inflamed the water could be a little irritating. I saved a wounded pheasant's eyes this year (looked like another pheasant beat him up and tried to peck them out) with a wash of saline solution day and night and some spare anti-inflammatory eye drops. Try the saline wash and see if it can clear out whatever is irritating them, I wouldn't try any unknown meds on a rabbit, so just stick with saline for a day or two.

The humping is normal 🤣 ! Probably a sign she isn't feeling too bad also! Definitely keep cleaning them, although maybe try a saline solution (like for contacts) instead of water on the swab. If her eyes are already a little inflamed the water could be a little irritating. I saved a wounded pheasant's eyes this year (looked like another pheasant beat him up and tried to peck them out) with a wash of saline solution day and night and some spare anti-inflammatory eye drops. Try the saline wash and see if it can clear out whatever is irritating them, I wouldn't try any unknown meds on a rabbit, so just stick with saline for a day or two.
Thanks for the tips! Coco does seem to be happy right now! She flopped beside me on my bed! My mom is going to the store tomorrow to pick me up some more wood stove pellets for her litter and some saline solution.

That sounds really good! Keep posting on this thread changes and if it seems to be helping... if they get worse or she seems to be in pain or uncomfortable you will probably need to go to the vet, but if it's environmental irritation the saline should flush it out!

That sounds really good! Keep posting on this thread changes and if it seems to be helping... if they get worse or she seems to be in pain or uncomfortable you will probably need to go to the vet, but if it's environmental irritation the saline should flush it out!
I'll be sure to keep updating! I'll also probably update about the subscription box I bought. Last month I bought a 6 month subscription for BunniesThatLunch.com and my first box is coming soon! They give you new treats and toys in a box each month! I'm really exited so I want to share some photos when it comes!!

I'll be sure to keep updating! I'll also probably update about the subscription box I bought. Last month I bought a 6 month subscription for BunniesThatLunch.com and my first box is coming soon! They give you new treats and toys in a box each month! I'm really exited so I want to share some photos when it comes!!
That's awesome, I've always wanted to try that!

Saline solution worked well for me. Apollo had conjunctivitis, we took him to the vet, they gave antibiotic ointment and it worked for a short while and then as soon as i stopped the treatment it went back to being so wet, and he began to lose fur. So I ordered saline solution, and used it three times a day, until it cleared up. It worked within just over two weeks. I then used it once a day for a week, just in case. But it didn’t come back. And it’s been better for a few months now 🙂. I’m not sure if it’ll work for you, but just thought that I should say it anyway.

Update: I just got the saline solution (its the un medicated type for contacts) and I did one drop in each eye to test it out. Coco did not even flinch when it went in and is doing perfectly fine! She seems to be in no pain or discomfort so I think this is the stuff for me! I'm going to try 1 drop in each eye, 3 times a day for 1 week and see how that goes. I'll be sure to keep you all updated and try to get some pictures. I still have not figured out how to put pictures on here!

Update: I just got the saline solution (its the un medicated type for contacts) and I did one drop in each eye to test it out. Coco did not even flinch when it went in and is doing perfectly fine! She seems to be in no pain or discomfort so I think this is the stuff for me! I'm going to try 1 drop in each eye, 3 times a day for 1 week and see how that goes. I'll be sure to keep you all updated and try to get some pictures. I still have not figured out how to put pictures on here!
That sounds really good... I might use more than a drop to flush the eyes, see if you can clear the debris, although either way may work!

They are doing better. They still are a bit crusty and wet but she does not seem to be in any discomfort. I will update you all when it clears up or if it gets worse. Thank you so much for helping me everyone!

I would also check her teeth just in case. Sometimes can be related as well, hopefully just some dust and will go away as you keep rinsing.

Update: I am so sorry I forgot to update everyone! We just moved and I totally forgot about this! So I was using the saline eye drop things but it was not getting any better. Her fur around her nose was starting to get a bit damp so I thought it might be a respiratory problem. Last Friday, I took her to our local rabbit savvy vet and he told me that she looks good. He said that her eyes should get better and it is just inflamed because of excess moisture. He told us to stop the saline because that would just make it more inflamed and we want it to dry out. With the nose, he said it is probably from my hay, which I am switching. Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out and Coco is officially healthy!!

Latest posts

Back