Help! Wet and Orange bunny butt!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

general_patton

Reaction score
For the past couple of months, General Patton (my Flemish Giant) has been hopping around the apartment with an orange rump.

Then I began to notice that it was often wet-- I thought what must behappening is that he's sitting in his pee-- that's exactly what itlooks like.

The problem is--- how? and why? Why after over ayear of living this apartment is he all of a sudden sitting in hispee? (If that's what's going on...)

I keep the litterbox as clean as possible. It's true that hedoes pee outside of his litterbox sometimes, but no more often now thatpreviously.

What I decided to do was make a raised metal mesh "step" inside hislitterboxso that he pees on a metal grate and the pee runsthrough to the bottom of the litter pan, not allowing him to sit init (like a cage with a litter pan beneath it).

It hasn't changed anything!

I bathe his rump every so often when it gets bad. Ialso took him to the vet with a urine sample, and the results came backnormal.

I've never seen him sitting in his pee, but thatcouldbewhat's happening.I know that rabbitspee "horizontally" or something like that, but why would this starthappening after all this time?

It's becoming a problem now-- things are getting stuck in his hair-- what do I do???
(image attached is a photo of his rump, orange!)

Does he lay by a window by any chance?Rabbits can have their fur get discolored from sunlight....I have 2blue rabbits that were this way from their other breeder and a lilacrabbit that this happened to also...

Other than that - I don't know!

Peg

Is he overweight or arthritic?Problems like these could prevent him from getting in the "correctposition" and might cause him to soil himself a bit.

He's the "perfect weight" according to my vet,and he's only a year old, so I don't think he's arthritic.It's so strange!

It's not discoloration from the sun, because I can definitely smell the pee, and his rump is often wet as well....

I gave him a bath today (just his tail in 1" of water)..... that's never fun for either of us.....

Latest posts

Back