HELP!! Weird poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Guys haru just pooped.. it looks weird, it smells very bad, it’s shiny and a bit wet like cecotropes but it’s the size of normal poop and bigger
ECB7C42B-AD5A-439B-B95D-4792347573D1.jpegD61A0395-6C7A-4301-83FC-9F0978D97357.jpeg

Has she eaten anything she shouldn't have? Or something that was new to her?

Has she eaten anything she shouldn't have? Or something that was new to her?
She ate two small strands or alfalfa hours before she pooped, I also got her mountain hay because the timothee that we have is not good, but she pooped these as soon as I gave her the hay, so I’m not sure if it’s the reason
Before that she saw my cousins rabbit at their place and hit her
So I’m thinking that the wet shiny smelly poop is territorial poop?
After that all her poops are dry, till today her poops got more round and it’s alot better, but it’s still dark I don’t know why, even though she’s only eating hay, and it’s very smelly what could be the reason?
i didn't give her the pellets yet, thought i should wait until the poops get better..
she went to the vet to gat her nails cut, it took us five hours to get back home, she did not eat or poop in this five hours, so when she pooped and it smelled bad i thought that maybe it's because it was in her stomach for a long time, but now it's the second day..

You changed her hay to mountain hay? Could there be something wrong with it? That would be the likely explanation for the changes in the poop. The long car ride could also be an explanation.

If the poop goes back to normal today, it was probably the car ride or maybe the alfalfa. If it doesn't go back to normal, it might be something to do with the change of hay. If the problem is the poops are just darker but are dry and crumbly like normal fecal balls should be, if the new hay is softer and leafier and has less hard stems than your previous hay, that means it has a higher protein content and that can make a rabbits poop darker.

You changed her hay to mountain hay? Could there be something wrong with it? That would be the likely explanation for the changes in the poop. The long car ride could also be an explanation.

If the poop goes back to normal today, it was probably the car ride or maybe the alfalfa. If it doesn't go back to normal, it might be something to do with the change of hay. If the problem is the poops are just darker but are dry and crumbly like normal fecal balls should be, if the new hay is softer and leafier and has less hard stems than your previous hay, that means it has a higher protein content and that can make a rabbits poop darker.
No, her hay was changed a few days ago to another timothee because the one that I used to get before is not available, this one isn’t really good so I bought mountain hay to try it, as soon as we got home she went to her litter box and I put a little bit of the mountain hay, after less than five minutes she got up and i saw these poops, after that I never gave it to her, now most of the poops are round and dark, I’m worried about the smell the most, I couldn’t find anything about smelly poops, it only started today, it smells VERY bad
71D2C667-EAF9-4B86-8B5E-721CAEA8DF25.jpeg

It is quite possible this is caused by stress. Long car trip but also you mentioned she saw another bunny. Not a good idea to introduce them to other bunnies unless they are going to be bonded.

It is quite possible this is caused by stress. Long car trip but also you mentioned she saw another bunny. Not a good idea to introduce them to other bunnies unless they are going to be bonded.
If it’s stress, would it continue to be smelly for more than a few hours? I didn’t check them today yet but it was smelly yesterday after 30 hours of the car ride and meeting the other bunny.
She also did binkies yesterday, do they binkie even if they’re stressed?

Effect of stress can manifest itself several days after stressful events. At the time she seemed happy she was clearly not stressed any longer.

Effect of stress can manifest itself several days after stressful events. At the time she seemed happy she was clearly not stressed any longer.
I really hope that it’s just stress and that she’s not sick or anything, I don’t smell anything bad now and I gave her from the mountain hay and it doesn’t seem to affect her poops. Thank you ♥️

I was laying down beside her while she was eating and she pooped right beside my nose.. it smells the same, the mountain hay is mixed with chamomile, I got it for her because she’s always gassy, my mom says that maybe the gasses are coming out with the poops, could that be the reason?

They are back to weird shapes 😭😭 I don’t understand why! She’s been eating the mountain hay for a few days now and she’s been okay..
68C4F28D-E07C-490F-96BC-034160B477EF.jpeg

Maybe it’s her body getting used to the hay again? I really don’t know. Keep an eye on her. I hope she gets better!

Her poops are fine. There will always be an occasional odd shaped poop, but as long as most of them are the normal round fecal balls then it shouldn't be a problem.

The smell could be now she is sexually mature. They can coat their poop in a smell to mark their territory. It usually has an onion or skunky smell to it.

Her poops are fine. There will always be an occasional odd shaped poop, but as long as most of them are the normal round fecal balls then it shouldn't be a problem.

The smell could be now she is sexually mature. They can coat their poop in a smell to mark their territory. It usually has an onion or skunky smell to it.
I mentioned before that I took her to get spayed and the vet said that she doesn’t have a uterus, would she still mark territory? is the gasses coming out in the poops theory possible?

Yes, she still has scent glands so can still scent mark. Even spayed rabbits without hormones, will still mark territory, it's just not as bad as when they are unspayed. Gas is possible, it's just scent glands are the more common and likely answer. If it smells like onions or skunk, it's definitely the scent glands.

And I have doubts about your vets diagnosis of no uterus. I mean, I guess it's possible but it would be so rare for it to be true.

Yes, she still has scent glands so can still scent mark. Even spayed rabbits without hormones, will still mark territory, it's just not as bad as when they are unspayed. Gas is possible, it's just scent glands are the more common and likely answer. If it smells like onions or skunk, it's definitely the scent glands.

And I have doubts about your vets diagnosis of no uterus. I mean, I guess it's possible but it would be so rare for it to be true.
Yes i was planning to take her to another vet to check her once she got better, but when I went to see him he was on a vacation and will be back in February

Latest posts

Back