Help!!! Vaccinations

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamSmudge

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Me again. Please do not blow up at this post. I didn't cause this. It's not anyone's fault other than my countries government so if you want to protest or send letters or whatever of anger it should be to them.

Anyways... There is a Rabbit Virus (Disease RHDV1-K5) being released in my country and I recently (Like 1 Day Ago) realised that it is being released in my area at the end of this month. With research, I found out that it takes 21 days for vaccinations to kick in. So, should I be getting my rabbit vaccinated? My Mum's friend's rabbit died after getting a vaccination (Idk what it exactly died of but it was soon after I think). I know that both humans and pets can have a bad reaction to vaccinations but I think I would rather take the chance and wait for a reaction at the vets then wake up, go to feed my rabbit and find it lying dead in its outdoor hutch and pen (We don't have predators so an open pen is fine, and all the neighbourhood cats are terrified of Smudge (ma bun) Sooo what's your advice? btw he's 5 going on 6 this year if that helps

Better you do the vaccinations to be safe, when it are in your area.

I’ve vaccinated my rabbit and for a rabbit and human to react badly on vaccinations are very small chance but it can happen.

^^^ Also does anyone know how it gets passed around? Is it easily spread (Idk how like an animal walking in a contaminated area could pick it up and then walk somewhere a bird hops and then the bird lands in my rabbits pen and Smudge dies or what?) or does it not get passed around easily?

Better you do the vaccinations to be safe, when it are in your area.

I’ve vaccinated my rabbit and for a rabbit and human to react badly on vaccinations are very small chance but it can happen.

Thanks for the advice. My it might only be farms or something the disease is released in but I'm not sure so that's what I thought. Unfortunately my local vet is closed over the weekend (Idk where you are but for me its friday night) but I'll book an appointment on Monday.

~ TeamStorm : )

What I’ve read it can pass around between rabbits but also insects like mosquitoes can spread the diseases to the rabbits. For example blood, urin, droppings all those from an infected rabbit can make another rabbit get sick if they manage to come in contact without meeting the rabbit.

The rhdv dosen’t spread like it hops around but often it’s insects that suck blood that are spreading the disease between rabbits.

That’s why I vaccinate my rabbits before summer start and all the annoying insects comes :3

What I’ve read it can pass around between rabbits but also insects like mosquitoes can spread the diseases to the rabbits. For example blood, urin, droppings all those from an infected rabbit can make another rabbit get sick if they manage to come in contact without meeting the rabbit.

The rhdv dosen’t spread like it hops around but often it’s insects that suck blood that are spreading the disease between rabbits.

That’s why I vaccinate my rabbits before summer start and all the annoying insects comes :3

Ahh so they're actually putting like the disease in carrots and setting them out and stuff, so could a mosquito that sucked the blood of a dead wild rabbit then the blood of say a dog, then another mosquito that sucked the blood of that dog then bit my rabbit, could my rabbit get the disease?

The disease can’t spread between different species. So the dog won’t get sick by the RHDV virus, so I think the virus won’t survive in the dog. So it wouldn’t work that way, but I’m not sure.

The disease can’t spread between different species. So the dog won’t get sick by the RHDV virus, so I think the virus won’t survive in the dog. So it wouldn’t work that way, but I’m not sure.

Ooooh but like if a mosquito bit a virusy rabbit then another that rabbit would die and then if another mosquito bit the second dead rabbit then my rabbit Smudge would be dead

As long a rabbit have the virus and a mosquito bites and go to another rabbit there’s always a chance for the healthy rabbit to get sick.

That’s why during spring, summer and autumn in my country it will always be an outbreak but during winter it’s calm because there no blood sucking insects that can spread the virus.

For example I don’t have wild rabbits in my area except there are tame rabbit that live as wild rabbits in the big city surviving on their own. And still my area it’s one of the places which you should vaccinate your rabbit during summer because we have both RHVD 1 & 2. I know some breeders that have lost all their show rabbits because of RHVD and maybe one of those rabbits manage to survive or stay healthy. But this year I’m hoping it won’t be as much like last year.

My country have a Facebook group where people tells where they had outbreaks and which zones where there are a big chance for rabbits to get sick. And need to vaccinate.

If they are going to start an outbreak in your area then it’s better to vaccinate your rabbit. So your rabbit it’s safe.

Latest posts

Back