Help! Unspayed females not getting along

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHops

Reaction score
So I have 2 rabbits, both females, and about 7 months old. They are not sprayed and have been showing dominance. My question is, if we don’t neuter them, will they still get along eventually? Or will they keep on fighting for ever?

Thanks a lot

Some intact females can get along, but those that do aren't prone to fights. If yours are already showing signs of aggression or fighting, be aware that that can escalate to serious harm-inflicting fighting, even lethal fighting. They should not be allowed together unmonitored if they are having issues that include fighting.

Even if they were to settle down some, it would likely still be a volatile relationship, subject to break at any time or for any minor reason.

If they are both spayed, they can be re-introduced to each other, but there is no guarantee that they will choose to bond. If they've had serious fights already, then they may remember. Nevertheless, spaying will give them a much better chance of bonding.

[I edited your subject title to be more specific. Please be sure to title new threads with specific subject matter as per our forum decorum.]

What exactly are they doing? Showing dominance and fghting are different things. Humping, short chases, even tufts of fur flying is not actual fighting but within the range of their social behaviour.
With pairs of does (I have two) it can be that they sort out hierchy now and then, with teenage rabbits and this time of the year it's not uncommon.

The dominant does of my duos on the other hand can't stand each other and fight to exhaustion when they get the chance, and they do draw blood if they can.

Anyway, set up their space so that there are no dead ends, and that they can get out of each others eyes when they feel like it, including two feeding spots. Do you plan to get them spayed?

No and I’m worried they will keep on fighting for life. I dont have a space to separate them.
I wouldn't keep them together they are hormonal and especially if they live in a small space they will hate each other and their conflict will most probably escalate. Can you post a picture of their enclosure? Is it possible to put a divider in the middle of it so they even can see each other but each one has their own territory and the other one can't breach into it.
Because most conflicts between females are territorial, like she uses MY toilet, she lays in MY corner she eats from MY bowl etc.

I wouldn't keep them together they are hormonal and especially if they live in a small space they will hate each other and their conflict will most probably escalate. Can you post a picture of their enclosure? Is it possible to put a divider in the middle of it so they even can see each other but each one has their own territory and the other one can't breach into it.
Because most conflicts between females are territorial, like she uses MY toilet, she lays in MY corner she eats from MY bowl etc.
unfortunately no. Is there anything else I can do?

What, exactly is this fighting? Some people think short chasing, some tufts of fur flying or shooing away from food is fighting. If they were actually fighting I assume you would have stepped in and your question would rather be if you should keep them seperated, not so much if you should seperate.

It can be that does don't get along, if you see that there is almost constant tension, lot of scuffles, no grooming or resting together it can be that seperating them is the best way for both. Like, if you've got two very dominant, pigheaded girls there. It also can be that they are sorting out their hierachy, which to some extent can be an reaccuring thing if the character match isn't ideal, but it really depends on how intense that is. My 9yo Fury and her 7yo daughter are such a pair, Fury is a absolut dominant character (although getting old now) and has to proof who's boss now and then, I need to feed the good stuff in different locations at those times.
At that age of yours, and this time of year you might see the worst of it now.

The setup is important, one hutch or cage that is too small and has no areas where they can get away from each other and out of sight would make things more difficult (The point of short chases is to make the other retreat, if there isn't anywhere to retreat to it could be percieved as an offense that she didn't leave for now, and escalate). I use two hutches per pair, connected with a tunnel, and a second level where they can get up. Also, they get a lot of garden time to work out.

If you don't have the space to seperate them, well, then that's maybe too little space for a duo thgat isn't a pretty perfect match.

If you seperate them now I doubt that chances are good to put them together later. I skipped most of these issues because my pairs are mother-daughter, I had 5-6 months to see which of the doelings got along best with mom.

If they really fight, seperate them. There is imminant danger of one being injured. But as I said, I can't tell if that is the case because some people percieve any not stereotyp peaceful bunny behaviour as fighting, some details of what they are doing would help.

Last edited:
If their grooming each other between fights its likely they'll they still like each other and the struggle for dominance is mutual. If you have 2 truly dominant females the fighting won't end until blood is drawn. The loser will sulk, but slowly things should get back to normal.

Latest posts

Back