HELP!! two male bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had my bunny turtle for a while and he’s about a year old, but I decided he needs a friend so I got another bunny Todd he’s about 2 years old and at first they hit it off but now they lunge at each other and try to fight but I break it up and I can’t afford to neuter them and no vet around me will neuter rabbits I just need suggestions on what to do because I want them to live together, what can I do?

Thank you, hopefully I can figure out a way.
I've heard about people that separate their buns for a few months (in separate rooms) so they can forget each other and then re bond. Because they are both un neutered males, they may never fully bond. Is it possible for you to get at least one neutered? Otherwise they may just have to live separately unfortunately.

I've heard about people that separate their buns for a few months (in separate rooms) so they can forget each other and then re bond. Because they are both un neutered males, they may never fully bond. Is it possible for you to get at least one neutered? Otherwise they may just have to live separately unfortunately.

I will try to if I can find a vet near me that will I live in the city so not many vets neuter exotics.

It's not always possible with males, especially unneutered ones. Their instinct is to fight.

^Agreed. It is extremely rare for two intact males to get along and bond. Once neutered, they have a better chance of bonding, but still no guarantees.

You need to separate them immediately. Fighting can be vicious and even deadly. The more they fight now, the less likely they will ever bond -- even if neutered.

Bonding rabbits isn't always easy. It is a process and sometimes doesn't work. Click here to read up more about bonding rabbits.

Your only choice if you want to keep them together is to get them both neutered, wait 4-8 weeks post neuter for the hormones to die down, then try and rebond them, and even then there is no guarantee they will bond at that time. Neutered male/male matches can be difficult and don't often work out, but there is also a chance it could.
https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Otherwise if you don't get them neutered you need to separate and keep them separate. If you don't, they could end up in a serious fight that results in very serious injuries, or the fight could even be fatal to one of them(it does and can happen).

Yours are better than mine :) - I cant even have them in the same room without attempted homicide...:( - and mine are spayed females...

Have you tried the Humane Society of SPCA? They don't advertise that they spay/neuter rabbits but when they have rabbit surrendered to them, they spay/neuter it before putting it up for adoption. So, they are capable of doing the procedure. And they're a lot cheaper than a vet.

Have you tried the Humane Society of SPCA? They don't advertise that they spay/neuter rabbits but when they have rabbit surrendered to them, they spay/neuter it before putting it up for adoption. So, they are capable of doing the procedure. And they're a lot cheaper than a vet.

I haven’t yet but I will do you know how much it might be?

The shelters (like SPCA) typically just have a favored vet or vets that do the procedure at a discount for the shelter. They may or may not give out the vet reference.

Rabbit rescues also have favored vets but you can call the rescue and ask for a vet reference for rabbits. That way you'll get a vet that knows rabbits well. They may even offer a discount for referrals from the rescue.

If you let us know your state (or general area) we can help find a rabbit rescue.

The shelters (like SPCA) typically just have a favored vet or vets that do the procedure at a discount for the shelter. They may or may not give out the vet reference.

Rabbit rescues also have favored vets but you can call the rescue and ask for a vet reference for rabbits. That way you'll get a vet that knows rabbits well. They may even offer a discount for referrals from the rescue.

If you let us know your state (or general area) we can help find a rabbit rescue.

Del city Oklahoma

Firstly how badly are fighting are they full on ripping each other to shreds or just having a scuffle ? If just having a scuffle give them supervised bonding sessions and see how it goes but don't leave them unsupervised males who are not castrated can be bonded I've had groups of males live together and be very happy infact my 2 boys Ilias and glenn are 2 non castrated makes and they live together and are very happy together once they sort out who is the dominant one they are usually fine the biggest group of entire males I've had was 6 you just have to be patient however if bonding exercises and or throwing them together to sort it out doesn't work you will have to separate or have them castrated good luck

I have had my bunny turtle for a while and he’s about a year old, but I decided he needs a friend so I got another bunny Todd he’s about 2 years old and at first they hit it off but now they lunge at each other and try to fight but I break it up and I can’t afford to neuter them and no vet around me will neuter rabbits I just need suggestions on what to do because I want them to live together, what can I do?

I will try to if I can find a vet near me that will I live in the city so not many vets neuter exotics.
Try local or nearby bigger city shelters. They will give much better rates than an exotic vet and have a lot of experience as the fix their animals before rehoming. I found 1 in Florida that is only $30 with great references.

As others have said, two unneutered males can NOT be safely kept together. There's no guarantee that they can be bonded even after neutering (+6-8 weeks for a male's hormones to totally dissipate), but without neuters, it's a lost cause. The fights can get vicious or even deadly. I'm talking penises bitten off, entrails ripped out kind of deadly.

Protocol varies from shelter to shelter (same for rescues), but the answers you get when calling can also vary from one employee to the next. You can always try calling on different days or asking to talk to someone about scheduling an appointment to surrender your rabbit (you can always bluff, worst case scenario you can hang up). I know the Houston SPCA makes you meet with a counselor before surrendering a pet to discuss alternatives... and a shelter would much rather help you find an affordable spay/neuter than have another animal they have to care for indefinitely.

Latest posts

Back