Help! Trying to bond my bunnies.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velveteenrabbit

Reaction score
We recently have added a couple bunnies to the family. The first is a male new zealand white and then an agouti female. We got lilly (was told he was a she before we took him to get spayed and learned differently) and thought he would be happier with a friend. We then bought velvet. We had already gotten lilly neutered when we tried to introduce them. Well,, all he wanted to do was chase and hump. Velvet wasnt having any of it, so we decided to get her spayed in Hope's of solving the problem. Now lilly just wants to murder velvet . We have tried neutral territory but he holds her down and rips out chunks of her fur! I've never heard a rabbit scream so loud in my life. What can we do?? I now have two different rabbit housings and they both have to have separate play times with us. This has completely blown up in our faces.

Not all rabbits will bond with each other.

If you would like to try again, I'd suggest you allow them a month where they are totally separate from each other in hopes that they will forget each other. They can't be in sight or smell of each other and should not be in the same area that the other has been.

After that, you could try again as if they never met before. You will need new neutral space. This space MUST be a place that neither rabbit has ever ever been before. Then choose one bonding method (you can see options here) and start anew. If one or both still act very aggressive, then just stop. They just aren't going to bond.

Thanks for your reply. I just cant believe I'm in this situation again. I had the same thing happen with my sugar gliders! I have alot of cages. I let the rabbits out for playtime in the living room every evening.(of course we alternate days and rabbits) so I will need to find another unmarked play area. It was so scary last time we did intros, I'm afraid it will never happen. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back