HELP! Three week old baby with a cold!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayhara

Reaction score
I know this should go in Emergency or Health issue area, but this is where I am always at, and so I feel like I should put it here.

So I was taking pictures of the babies today and generally playing with them etc. When I got to the gold tipped steels in CT10's litter I saw one of them had a wet mouth and nose, at first I thought it had just been trying to get a drink from the water bottle and it dripped a bit to much or something. But as I looked closer I realize it was mucus, and sticky. When I held the baby up by my ear I could hear that its breathing was raspy. It was active though not as much as the others. Then it sneezed and mucus went all over me.

He/she is a Mini lop who is three weeks old today

I am kind of freaking out. I have never had a rabbit with any kind of cold/respiratory issues, but I have heard horror stories of it spreading rapidly to the rest of the herd. I am worried about the other seven babies, I am worried about CT10, I am also worried about Moppet (AK384) and her 7, because they are separated from CT10 and her babies by wire and about a inch.

But I don't know what to do. I can't remove a three week old baby from its mom, I just don't know what to do. It has been chilly hear the last two nights and though I turned a heat lamp on over the babies perhaps it wasn't enough. They have been out of the nest box for almost a week now. But I have kept hay over the floor. Could it just be a simple cold? Should I separate him for the night and bring him in here? I saw them eat already tonight, but then it would miss the morning feedings, and what good would separating him do if I keep taking him back to feed anyway.

Any ideas would be great! I so don't want to loose any of these bunnies, and am having fears of it spreading to everyone in the bunny barn.

I have never experienced mucous except when it comes from their bums. I took it as jelly like but can you describe it in more detail and possible get a picture that isnt too blurry. Is there any color to the snot and can you be sure it is coming from the nose? Does he seem alert and bright? I know its hard to tell eating habbits with a litter but is he eating and drinking normally.

There is a medicine called vet rx that works well for minor snuffles but you dont want whatever the baby has to turn into pneumonia.

As far as separating i have no clue how i would handle it.

I am going to seperate it, as many have said to cull it.( I can't do that) but I have Vet RX and will treat it with that. Will also move mom and babies to a different cage and bleach/clean out the cage they where in tomorrow.

So good news. I went out to seperate the sick one, and I can't even tell one was sick! I looked them all over good, listened to their breathing and heard nothing abnormal. To show you why I was so worried here is the picture I took of it earlier, the wet looking part was slimy and when it breathed it rasped. But now. Nothing.
I moved them all to a new cage and will thoroughly clean the old one just in case its something in there that bothered it. If I could of told which one it was I might of moved it out anyway, but I couldn't tell which it was (their are four gold tipped steels)
Here is the picture taken at about 6:30pm
1sickbaby.jpg

I saw your thread on the RabbitAddict website. I'm glad they gave you some advice which is actually what I was going to say but I knew people on this website would freakout.

Make sure to read the Vet rx description. I am not sure if there is a minimum age.

Glad to hear you couldn't tell which baby was sick but keep a really close eye on those babies. That nose looked horrible

Poor baby! No wonder you were freaking out after seeing that. I would be too.

Hoping all is well now. Like Sarah said, just keep an eye on all the babies.

K:)

Latest posts

Back