HELP terrible neck infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camryn

Reaction score
My Holland lop has been healthy and happy all year. I have been busy with work travel the past couple of months and my sister has been caring for her. She has not gotten proper grooming. And so it was not until tonight that I have found this concerning area on her neck. It is wet, matted, and balding... she doesn’t seem to be in pain... it just looks awful and I don’t know what to do. What do I do??!

It is notoriously difficult to notice abnormalities in that area unless you're really looking, so just concentrate on looking forward, rather than thinking about the past.

With it being so close to the mouth, my immediate thought is drool. With consistent drooling, the fur never gets to dry, so it quickly becomes matty, dirty, and a breeding ground for bacterial/fungal infections.

Have there been any changes in her eating behavior, or is she typically not a hay eater? Typically, drooling is an indication of dental concerns, where the rabbit is producing excessive saliva to lubricate an uncomfortable/painful tooth spike.

Latest posts

Back