Help, Suggestions or Ideas on Housing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaGal

Reaction score
Long story short I will be getting two buns from my neighbor to avoid them being set loose or some other bad fate.

All I know about the buns right now is that they are a little over a year old at least. If nothing has changed since they first got them then they are kept together outside. I'm assuming they get along and since nothing was mentioned about babies that they are the same sex.

I do not know yet whether I will be keeping them permanently or if I will be finding homes for them. I cannot spend a bunch of money right now. I need housing quickly so there is no time to build a hutch.

I have what is basically a home made cage. It has a wooden frame covered in 1/4 inch fencing. It is I believe 4 ft X 4 ft and 3 ft high. It has legs but they are only about four inches high.

I was thinking I could keep them in this at least temporarily. Now the problem is I have never had an outdoor bun. It is hot here. Today is 92. Also, I know they should have some sort of shelter in the cage so they can get out of the rain and such.

I know I could temporarily put in a card board box but we are supposed to have storms tomorrow and some could be severe so cardboard wouldn't last long in the rain plus I'm not sure how well it would work with strong winds.

If the kittens weren't in Thumper's old cage I could use that at least maybe for during the heat of the day or during storms so they could be brought in.

I guess I'm looking for any and all suggestions including ways to keep them cool although they apparently have survived this heat last year and so far this. Some sort of shelter that could be placed inside the cage. And anything I may need to know that would be different between and indoor bun and an outdoor.

For cooling, I've seen folks fill plastic bottles with water and freeze them...the buns can lie on/near them to keep cool.

As for an outside box, maybe an extra large Rubbermaid container turned upside down with a hole cut to get in/out?

Good luck!

Perhaps some garbage bags cable-tied on to keep the rain out?

As for keeping cool, google "coolgardie safe". I believe you can use damp towels to provide evaporative cooling, as well as the frozen bottles.

Do you have any recycling places in your area? We have a shop at our local rubbish tip where you can buy stuff that other people don't want. You can get stuff for next to nothing. Or try freecycle, somebody might have a disused hutch that they'd be willing to part with to help you out.

Do you have, or can you get an x-pen?
I was thinking that there are supposed to be some very severe storms coming your way over the next days. Unless you have something super sturdy, it may not last. Or the rabbits could get super stressed?

I'm thinking it would be easiest to keep them safe inside away from the heat and that weather coming. Exercise pens are just easy, temporary set-ups.

Maybe with some creativity, you might even be able to make use of some cardboard to block off a corner of a room (if you keep a close eye out for escape holes)

Just checked the weather again. severe storms coming your way Thursday. (I see it's already 11pm on wednesday where you are)

Last edited:
You could always bring them inside in a cat carrier if you have one. Or put them in a bathroom temporarily? For during the storm?

If they have been outside buns their whole lives, I doubt that a storm is going to be scaring them. You will definitely need some secure sort of rainproof covering though, maybe a good quality tarp or plastic drop sheet. Cardboard box works fine as a temporary shelter, but it's not enough alone from rain (obviously or sun). If the box is in the sun it will still get too hot. So you could cover the top of the hutch with cardboard and just weigh it down with some rocks so it doesn't blow off. That would provide shade, or drape towels over the top, that works too. As for keeping them cool, if they're used to being out in the heat it won't be as bad for them, but I still recommend preparing several frozen water bottles for them to lie against and if you have some tiles laying around (or you can buy a couple for less than $1 each from a hardware store) you can also freeze them and they will lay on them to keep cool(though they don't stay cool as long as the drink bottles).

Quick update. We haven't gotten them yet. Hubby said to just order another like Thumpers which is a 4' X 3' dog pen. It can be here in 3 days. We don't think the other will work. Of course hubby thinks we can just simply have all buns together with no problems. I know that may not be the case. I do tend to overthink and worry about the animals too much at times.

We did go over to see them as I haven't for over a year. They are not so small. Just a regular bunny size. Their cage is dirty and way too small for the two of them. I did see the black bun mount the fawn. The black didn't pull hair but it did look like the black softly chewed some hair. The fawn bun just lay there from when we got there till we left. The black bun did come over to see us. So although they have only had human contact for feeding and water they seem calm.

It looks like the black bun though has several spots of missing hair which I am wondering if it is from hair pulling. They have been together for over a year. Is it possible they are fine together but some aggression pops up because they are in such close quarters and with no outlet for releasing all their energy?

Latest posts

Back