Help socializing with fearful rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliceH

Reaction score
I have a two year old male rabbit who started being shy in March and has become very skittish around me. He has always been a "come to you" rabbit, and would come and lie next to me for pets when I sat in the play pen with him. He has always hated being picked up, but did not mind people when they were near him. But towards the end of January I got him fixed, and a few weeks later I got him a bond mate. It took about 2 months to get them bonded, and the new rabbit was defiantly a bit aggressive during the bonding period. Currently his girlfriend is acting normal when I go and sit in their play pen(which I do when I bring them breakfast to incentives him to come out,) but he hides in their cage and generally doesn't come out until I leave. I have been respecting his space and been giving him the option to come to me, but it has been like 7 months. I am not sure if it was me getting him fixed/leaving him at the vet, repeatedly exposing him to a sometimes bitey rabbit, or giving him a bondmate that made him change, but I would appreciate any tips about getting him comfortable around me again.

Pick up handfeeding and carry pellets on you. Become a bank of food and both your bunnies will build up their trust to you.

I think the experience he went through caused him to get scared and uncertain. But food and chilling in their area will build up his trust again.

Latest posts

Back