[help] Side effect of Caliciviurs Vaccine??!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuteQ

Reaction score
Is there any side effect of the rabbit calicivirus vaccine on the leg?

My rabbit got her first vaccine injected on the skin close to right hind leg yesterday. I noted she lifts her right hind leg up when she is slowly walking. Looks like she's avoiding to use that leg. But she can walk with that one when she needs to quickly run or sit on the hind leg.

She was fine yesterday but today looks very quite and subdued. She's still eating and drink. But not really want to jump. She usually jump a lot into her tray and out to play.

She is an indoor rabbit and is 10 weeks old.

Anyone know what happened to her leg? Is it because the vaccine or she may hurt herself by accident?

Thanks heaps

Normally this vaccine is not done close to the leg. The vet might have stick the needle too close to a nerve or something. Normally, most VHD vaccines are safe and causes little side effects - some crusts, light fatigue can happen. The stress of a trip to the vet can also affect the rabbit. But was it just a calicivirus vaccine or was it Nobivac? I advise you against letting the vet use Nobivac (it treats myxomatosis and VHD) on your bunny - as usual, the labs control everything and this new vaccine replaced most of the others almost everywhere before it was properly tested. If you want something else, you have to ask for other vaccines when you make an appointment so the vet can order them for you. Nobivac was signaled as unsafe by the main French association of rabbit welfare (the president lost her two rabbits after the vaccination and she was not the only one) and a pharmaco-vigilance report was made as it can cause severe side effets, in particular GI stasis and the reoccurence and worsening of past ailments. On the French rabbit forum I go to several members lost their rabbits after the injection and the problem is probably severly underestimated because most vets refuse to report the incidents, saying the deaths have nothing to do with the vaccination. Of course, it doesn't mean it always causes problems but I personally ask for Dervaximyxo SG33 and Lapinject (Cunicare) as they are older safer vaccines.
Regarding your bunny, I would leave her alone as long as she is drinking / pooping / eating and doesn't show more than some lethargy and a small discomfort. After all, she's still a baby and the vaccination was probably a big ordeal for her. If she's not better in two days, I would ring the vet so they take a look.

Thanks very much Aki.

In the invoice it was only showing Calicivirus Vaccine. I don't think they used Nobivac.

Yes she is drinking, pooping and eating. I can't remember if the vet stick the needle close to the leg. My rabbit is a bit small so she doesn't have a big back. I don't know if the vet stick too close to a nerve, if so, will there be a delay of an uncomfortably leg? She was fine the whole day yesterday with her right hind leg. Will this because of a sort muscle?

I still can see she is using that leg. I'm a bit worried if she hurt herself.

I kept her in the cage to let her recover. Hopefully she'll get better soon.

It's hard to tell but sometimes the rabbit won't show pain immediately or something can hurt more when it's 'cold'. One of the most frequent side effect of vaccines is a slight swelling on the site of the injection, so there might be one which empedes her a bit. She might have hurt herself too - that would be really unlucky but it's of course not impossible. I would examine her gently to try to determine what the problem is... Of course, if she looks like she is really in pain or that she is still jumping weird after tomorrow, go see a vet if only to give her painkillers. Confining her to her cage sounds like a good idea for now.
Keep us posted about how she is doing - I hope she gets well soon!

When I got my rabbit vaccinated for calici he had a reaction- the vaccination spot turned really red and the hair fell out. It was kind of like a burn. He healed up ok from it.

Because of that I read up about it and the say some times the vaccine does travel in to legs and cause a stiff leg. I did a lot of reading and everyones rabbit in the end- recovered and where ok. But I would call the vet and tell them about it.

Just let you guys know, I went back to the vet and the vet was saying it’s because the spot of injection is hurting. And she is not used to any pain. My rabbit was given a pain reliever to eat. She’s recovered after having the pain reliever.

Latest posts

Back