HELP SAVE TWO RABBITS LIVES!

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Div

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
Hello, my name is Sarah! I am a rabbit owner like the most of you. I had 4 rabbits now reduced to 2 rabbits. They died of a disease that has spread to all my rabbits. I used to not have a proper rabbit vet so now I drive to different cities to get them proper care. Saidly I can no longer afford the rabbits vet bills. Just yesterday I didn’t even do half of the tests I was supposed to do and don’t even have all of the medicine yet. It was $500. This was for only one rabbit. The other one is still sick and I need help getting her to the vet as well! It was just too much since the first two costed me thousands before they died. I figured other rabbit owners must understand how this feels!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Lukaku&Onana

Active Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2019
Messages
39
Reaction score
28
Location
London
What disease is it that your rabbits suffer from? And what medication is needed? Maybe some members of the forum have some left and can send them to you?
 

Bunrabbit

Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2019
Messages
12
Reaction score
3
Location
Uk
I'm really sorry i can't help..
Well , good luck .
I'm so so sorry.
 

Niomi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2009
Messages
449
Reaction score
189
Location
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Not enough information! I think you need a new vet. A vet should be honest with you about your rabbits' chance of making it through the illness before charging you a lot of money and putting you through a lot of tests. If the chance of these rabbits making it through this illness is not good, you need to take a good look at how much suffering they are doing before continuing with treatment.
 

Lukaku&Onana

Active Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2019
Messages
39
Reaction score
28
Location
London
I agree one hundred percent. Even though I am in the UK and the situation might be different here (first of all we have the option to insure our rabbits for a small monthly premium), I find it exorbitant what your vet charges. Especially as there is an infectious disease involved. You urgently need another vet and a good one might probably offer you a price plan. I think lots of people here would love to help - but you and your rabbits not a vet that tries to make money out of your despair.
All the best for you and your rabbits!
If you let us know a bit more - such as what disease it is and what medication were recommended we might be able to help you much better.
 

Div

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
What disease is it that your rabbits suffer from? And what medication is needed? Maybe some members of the forum have some left and can send them to you?
I really don’t know what the disease is yet. I am getting a blood test back on Monday for one of them. They couldn’t figure it out from a physical exam.
 

Div

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
Not enough information! I think you need a new vet. A vet should be honest with you about your rabbits' chance of making it through the illness before charging you a lot of money and putting you through a lot of tests. If the chance of these rabbits making it through this illness is not good, you need to take a good look at how much suffering they are doing before continuing with treatment.
Two other of my rabbits have died and I will take any chance they give me. They don’t know what this disease is yet. I’m getting back a blood test for one of them on Monday! I also have been to 2 other vets before this one. This was the only proper vet around for hours of driving! In case of an emergency this is my best bet so I’m gong to take it!
 

Div

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
I agree one hundred percent. Even though I am in the UK and the situation might be different here (first of all we have the option to insure our rabbits for a small monthly premium), I find it exorbitant what your vet charges. Especially as there is an infectious disease involved. You urgently need another vet and a good one might probably offer you a price plan. I think lots of people here would love to help - but you and your rabbits not a vet that tries to make money out of your despair.
All the best for you and your rabbits!
If you let us know a bit more - such as what disease it is and what medication were recommended we might be able to help you much better.
Thank you so much! In an hour at most I’ll be posting the med information on my fund raiser and here! As of right now I’m still trying to find out this disease which is why it costs so much. I’m waiting for a blood test results on Monday from one of them! Also I have already been to 2 other vet in my area this was the only rabbit specialist that could actually help and knows what their doing!
 

Div

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
The medicine she is taking now if supposedly some simple stuff such as Penicillin, Baytril, Metacam, and revolution. Just to answer some of your guys questions! Remember this was Lola, only one of the rabbits. Carmela still needs to go to the vet! Also, Lola had a blood test done and I am waiting for the results which we will get back on Monday and I will share here and on my gofundme!
 

Niomi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2009
Messages
449
Reaction score
189
Location
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
The medicine she is taking now if supposedly some simple stuff such as Penicillin, Baytril, Metacam, and revolution. Just to answer some of your guys questions! Remember this was Lola, only one of the rabbits. Carmela still needs to go to the vet! Also, Lola had a blood test done and I am waiting for the results which we will get back on Monday and I will share here and on my gofundme!
What is Lola's diagnosis?
 

Div

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
What is Lola's diagnosis?
Well all they know really is that her heart isn’t very loud but it’s a good pace, she keeps sneezing, she has fevers and a runny nose, appetite and water consumption has gone down, and she lost weight. She is now 1.9 pounds. That’s everything they could find from a physical examination. All we really know is that she’s sick but not sure of what but hopefully we will find out on Monday!
 

Lukaku&Onana

Active Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2019
Messages
39
Reaction score
28
Location
London
You have taken one of your sick rabbits to the vet and left the other one that is also sick at home? If they are both suffering from something infectious? And the only vet you can reach charges you such an exorbitant sum for so little and without even telling you what he suspects? I had both my bucks physically examined, blood tests done and neutered and paid 430 GBP for all of it. As far as I can see you urgently need another vet. Maybe somebody here can recommend you one quickly if you tell us the region you can reach. The new vet you should ask to pay in instalments. And take both rabbits at the same time! They both will need treatment even if one seems better than the other. What about the rabbits who sadly died - have they been examined, have they had a diagnosis?
In the meantime, how is your rabbit doing on the medication that was given? The vet prescribed antibiotics, painkillers and something against parasites - should that be given all at the same time? I am not an expert but I was advised to interrupt my deworming with panacur while my bucks were on loxicol (painkiller like metacam) after neutering. What do more experienced people think? Have you been recommended critical care ore something else to syringe feed your rabbits? Do they eat at all? I think they urgently need to be syringe fed if they don't to avoid stasis.
To be quite honest, I don't think your vet is trustworthy and I hope someone can recommend another one. All the best for you and your rabbits!
 

Div

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
You have taken one of your sick rabbits to the vet and left the other one that is also sick at home? If they are both suffering from something infectious? And the only vet you can reach charges you such an exorbitant sum for so little and without even telling you what he suspects? I had both my bucks physically examined, blood tests done and neutered and paid 430 GBP for all of it. As far as I can see you urgently need another vet. Maybe somebody here can recommend you one quickly if you tell us the region you can reach. The new vet you should ask to pay in instalments. And take both rabbits at the same time! They both will need treatment even if one seems better than the other. What about the rabbits who sadly died - have they been examined, have they had a diagnosis?
In the meantime, how is your rabbit doing on the medication that was given? The vet prescribed antibiotics, painkillers and something against parasites - should that be given all at the same time? I am not an expert but I was advised to interrupt my deworming with panacur while my bucks were on loxicol (painkiller like metacam) after neutering. What do more experienced people think? Have you been recommended critical care ore something else to syringe feed your rabbits? Do they eat at all? I think they urgently need to be syringe fed if they don't to avoid stasis.
To be quite honest, I don't think your vet is trustworthy and I hope someone can recommend another one. All the best for you and your rabbits!
Thank you a lot for all these recommendations and I finally got my rabbits to eat they just don’t eat as much as usual! The medication one of them is on seems to be helping a lot and as for the other one she isn’t as bad and eating a little more! As of right now I’ve already researched all the vets in hours around me and this is the only one who knows what their doing when it comes to rabbits! If someone can recommend a good vet in Florida’s Lee County area or somewhere around it that would be very helpful for my other rabbit so I can afford it better and get both of my rabbits neutered once they are over this sickness! Thank you so much again!
 

Lynsey harry

Active Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2019
Messages
41
Reaction score
6
Location
Uk
My rabbit was sneezing and turned out to be snuffles baytril twice a day , metacam once a day along with syringing feeding every few hours and he’s making a good recovery and I also nebuliser him once a day
 

Div

Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2019
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
My rabbit was sneezing and turned out to be snuffles baytril twice a day , metacam once a day along with syringing feeding every few hours and he’s making a good recovery and I also nebuliser him once a day
Alright thank you! I’ll definitely take that into consideration!
 

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 4, 2012
Messages
507
Reaction score
206
I am closing this thread, as Watermelons said soliciting for funds is not allowed on the forum.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top