Help Rescued rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chloeee1234

Reaction score
Hi I’m all new to this i was wondering if somebody could help. I’ve just rescued a rabbit from my sister in laws as the other rabbits she has were bullying her. Since we got her she has became very aggressive, biting whenever you go near her to pick her up to put her in her run or to grab her food bowl. We have been around this rabbit since my sister in law got her and she has never been aggressive to them It’s completely out of character for her. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Thankyou

Hi,

being relocated is a huge stress to rabbits, it can take weeks to settle in properly.
Avoid picking her up, rabbits don't like it, they hate to lose control. Use ar carrier to get her from one place to another, but I wouldn't do that for the first week either. Or at all, if it is avoidable. Permanent tunnels are better. Doesn't matter if her cage is a little on the small side right now.
Rabbits have a base, their safe place, she'll need to learn that this new place is it, and it's very important to them to always be able to get there. They are prey animals. Being carried somewhere kind of unroots them.

What does your setup look like?

Patience. Spend time with her, like reading in her pen and ignoring her, let her get accustomed to you.

Also small treats do work. Big time. :)

Hi I’m all new to this i was wondering if somebody could help. I’ve just rescued a rabbit from my sister in laws as the other rabbits she has were bullying her. Since we got her she has became very aggressive, biting whenever you go near her to pick her up to put her in her run or to grab her food bowl. We have been around this rabbit since my sister in law got her and she has never been aggressive to them It’s completely out of character for her. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Thankyou
Maybe see if you can get her spayed, it might help =; 3

Aggression is almost always due to fear. Try not to pick her up unless really necessary. Scatter feed the food. I assume you are new to rabbits - have a read of this page and everything else on that site (great info on everything you need to know about bunnies): New to Rabbits

It might take a while for her to get used to you. Do you have any other pets? Are you around cats or dogs much? (your clothes might have picked up the scent of some other animal; that can set them off).

A good bonding tip is to sit on the floor with the bunny (and resist the urge to reach out for them). Just act like you're ignoring them (maybe even read a book at floor level with your new rabbit). Eventually, she'll come over to see what you're doing. Also, if you eat a snack while sitting on the floor near your rabbit and also provide her with a snack, that's a compliment in rabbit body language (social eating is a big thing for bunnies).

It'll probably take 6 months to a year for her to mellow out and get used to everyone. It's very rewarding when they do though.

Latest posts

Back