Help! Red Urine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brebuns

Reaction score
Please help. I’m seeing what appears to be red (bloody?) urine in my bunnies’ cage. I have 3 female bunnies in the same cage. A few days ago, I noticed some red looking urine in the cage, but could not locate the source or which bunny it was coming from. Two days ago, I woke up to find one of my bunnies had passed away at only 3 years old. (I’m completely devastated.) I cleaned up the cage and assumed the red urine had something to do with her. Now that she’s gone, I’m still seeing the red urine. I googled it and heard bunnies can have red urine due to proteins in urine, but this is new for them and nothing has really changed. They’re acting normal, but my Charlotte was acting normal the night before she died too. The unexpected death of my Charlotte is really freaking me out. Advice??

Attachments

• B3EBFDAC-AB11-4CBA-8709-4D19CDD838A0.jpeg
    B3EBFDAC-AB11-4CBA-8709-4D19CDD838A0.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Sometimes rabbits can have this colour urine I’d they’re getting a certain type of greens!

Hey there, I am SO sorry to hear if your bunny’s passing! Are your bunny’s spayed? I had this same experience with my female bunny about 3 months ago, really scared me. I’d suggest taking a sample if you can of the red liquid, and going to the vet. I took a sample of her litter when I went and it was intact blood, I can’t quite tell from your photo. My bunny had a vein hemorrhage and needed to be spayed. Female rabbits are also prone to uterine cancers. I hope everything works out for you and it’s just red urine!

Please help. I’m seeing what appears to be red (bloody?) urine in my bunnies’ cage. I have 3 female bunnies in the same cage. A few days ago, I noticed some red looking urine in the cage, but could not locate the source or which bunny it was coming from. Two days ago, I woke up to find one of my bunnies had passed away at only 3 years old. (I’m completely devastated.) I cleaned up the cage and assumed the red urine had something to do with her. Now that she’s gone, I’m still seeing the red urine. I googled it and heard bunnies can have red urine due to proteins in urine, but this is new for them and nothing has really changed. They’re acting normal, but my Charlotte was acting normal the night before she died too. The unexpected death of my Charlotte is really freaking me out. Advice??
I would take her to the vet , And sorry your bun died .
Good luck!

https://rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

Rabbit pee colour can vary from pale yellow to dark brown, with the red Pee Of Horrer in between. Normal, if evenly coloured, many plants and foods, and I guess some other things have effect on the colour, since even when fed the same stuff pee colours varies.
If there were spots, clumps or strands of red instead of an even colour I would see a vet, that could be blood.

Sorry that your rabbit died. Unfortunatly, they hide problems real well, and it could have been something like a heart defect, they are not the most hardy of creatures. Without a post mortem impossible to tell what was the cause, and even that wouldn't be necessarily conclusive.
If it would make you feel better I would see a vet anyway.

Anyway, I would check their food for mold, that can happen easily like when a bale of hay or bag of pellets is stored leaning a colder wall or cold floor, I got somewhat nervous about that.

REALLY common for rabbits to have red urine. It’s usually due to diet

Latest posts

Back