Help! Ran out of litter!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristin McCann

Reaction score
I am on SSI so a I only get paid once a month. I bought a big, huge bag of litter I thought would get me thru the next 2 weeks but ran out last night. For his litter box, I just use the plastic bottom of his 1st cage I bought him when he was tiny with the safe paper balls I buy. Right now there’s nothing in it for him to use. I won’t have the $ until Monday to get him litter. Any idea’s of what I can safely use for litter until then? The plastic is already full of poo & huge puddles of pee I feel SO bad & I don’t think he’s liking it one bit! Any idea’s would be greatly appreciated!

Do you happen to have any newspaper? That could work... You could also add towels, but I think that it will start to smell pretty soon.

Use paper and lay hay on top, just to layer it a bit [emoji4]

This is the set up in the travel cages, newspaper take up the pee while the hay lay on the top, they can eat and not step on the wet paper.

I have also ran out of litter before. I used towels and switched out them once or twice a day. It's not ideal, but its only temporary

In the future, I would recommend using less litter in the box. Most kinds of litter expand so there's no need to use a ton. By not putting much in, I can make a 40 pound bag last a month and a half if not a whole 2 months for my one bun.

Do you happen to have any newspaper? That could work... You could also add towels, but I think that it will start to smell pretty soon.
Yes I most certainly do have newspaper. It’s only til Monday. I have to clean his house floor AND litter several times a day any way. For the most part, he goes in his litter box but also on his floor, is this because he’s still young? I let him run our living room freely throughout the day with his house opened so he can eat & drink & he doesn’t ever mess anywhere other than in his house & litterbox. I also heard/read when he hits maturity, he may change like his demeanor & litter habits. I’m kind of nervous for this time

I have also ran out of litter before. I used towels and switched out them once or twice a day. It's not ideal, but its only temporary

In the future, I would recommend using less litter in the box. Most kinds of litter expand so there's no need to use a ton. By not putting much in, I can make a 40 pound bag last a month and a half if not a whole 2 months for my one bun.
Thanks for this, I don’t fill his litter box, I just put a small amt in the corner he uses & I have his hay bin inside his litter box on the other side so he poos mostly in his litter.

I’m also going to go get the wood pellets everyone has sent me pictures of & redo his cage to make a bigger place for him. I’m so excited he needs toys & ppl have sent me lots of great ideas for toys that are safe for him, going to get him more toys!

You can also use shredded paper if you have office shredder or just use scissors for shredding your newspaper.

Here she mixed regular office shredded paper with newspaper because newspaper absorbs better but if you just need a temporary solution for a few days it doesn't really matter

Also great idea for the rabbit who loves digging :)

Switching to wood pellets from a feed store will result in significant savings. I pay maybe $8 for a 40 lb bag of them at Tractor Supply. By the looks of things (we doubled our rabbit count on March 11th), I'd guess a bag will last about a month. SO much cheaper than the Carefresh I started out using nearly 7 years ago. Of the alternatives offered to get you through the weekend, I suspect shredded paper would be the most effective just due to the fluffiness of it. Dunno what toy suggestions you've already gotten, but my biggest one is dollar stores! Baby keys, alphabet blocks, wicker wreaths, wiffle balls, untreated baskets, there's an endless supply of stuff at the dollar store that rabbits would love to toss around and/or destroy.

You can also use shredded paper if you have office shredder or just use scissors for shredding your newspaper.

Here she mixed regular office shredded paper with newspaper because newspaper absorbs better but if you just need a temporary solution for a few days it doesn't really matter

Also great idea for the rabbit who loves digging :)

Thanks so much for this it’s been very helpful!

Latest posts

Back