Help! Rabbit opening is swollen and eating less

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cleverkaist

Reaction score
Hi, I have a female 1.5 years old rabbit. I, today found my rabbit’s bottom area was covered in gooey poop and it really smelled. When I cleaned up, I found her opening swollen and it bright red. Apart from that, she has been eating less since 2-3 days ago. I will be going to the veterinary today but wanted to know what could be the reason. I’m also attaching the photo of it.

Attachments

• C6C4339D-683B-42BC-9A90-3277A1720FEC.jpeg
    C6C4339D-683B-42BC-9A90-3277A1720FEC.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 2
If all of her poop is gooey and mushy, with no normal round fecal balls being produced, this is true diarrhea and is considered an emergency. It's caused by pathogenic bacteria, usually the clostridium bacteria, which causes enterotoxemia. This is a very serious illness and very often is fatal. To have any chance of saving a rabbit with this, immediate treatment and the correct meds are absolutely vital. If this is what she has, she needs to be immediately put on cholestyramine to absorb the toxins produced by the bacteria, as this is what proves fatal to the rabbit. Then also the antibiotic metronidazole or possibly other antibiotics(rabbit safe ones, as not all are). She'll also probably need sub q or IV fluids, syringe feeding if she's not eating well on her own, and may need some additional medications.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html
https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/enterotoxemia-in-pet-rabbits-and-other-herbivores/
Medirabbit: bacterial and mucoid enteritis, enterotoxemia

Medirabbit: antibiotics safe for use in rabbits

If she is still producing normal round fecal balls, then this isn't usually an emergency, but can be serious if not corrected. When there is some mushy poop, but also normal round fecal balls, the mushy poop is usually mushy cecotropes that aren't properly formed. This is called cecal dysbiosis, or intermittent soft cecotropes. Most often the cause is a problem with the rabbits diet. Usually too many sugars/carbohydrates, and not enough fiber from hay. Though sometimes it can be caused by a sensitivity to a particular veggie or green fed, or veggies that have spoiled. This can usually be corrected by a diet low in sugars/carbs and high in free fed good quality(no mold) grass hay. Occasionally ISC isn't due to diet but can be from other problems like liver disease, obesity, dental problems. So if it's not a diet problem, your rabbit will need a thorough exam, dental exam, and may need blood tests and xrays to determine the cause.

https://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/

Her anal opening is likely red due to inflammation and irritation to her digestive tract, from the bacteria or whatever is causing the mushy/runny poop. One other possibility if you are seeing any blood in the poop or any threads of mucousy poop, is the parasitic infection, coccidiosis.

(WARNING: LINK CONTAINS GRAPHIC NECROPSY PHOTOS)
Medirabbit: coccidiosis

Latest posts

Back