Help!! Rabbit Not Eating!?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunsFurever

Reaction score
Hello everyone. One of my bunnies, Ferdinand a black male bunny was flopped and not as active as usual a little earlier this evening. He will not eat his pellets or the treat I tried to give him.e totally ignored both of them which is absolutely not like him. I even opened the door to his room so he cold come out and play, but he remains hunched up in the corner. I have not made any changes in his diet or habitat and he seemed fine last night (I haven't been home much today, as my parents do not really like me staying home a ton). Do I need to take him to the vet? I am not sure if my dad will let me this late at night (it is past 9 here) or even if any exotic vet will be open. Are there any at home remedies that you guys can think of until I bring him to the vet? Does this sound like stasis?
I will also edit this post and give you guys updates on how he is doing and also I am very sorry about the spelling and grammar mistakes, I am just really scared and unfocused right now.
Thank you so much!! All replies will be appreciated.

Last edited:
If I have a rabbit that stops eating from what I suspect is a stomach upset and gas pain, I will try baby gas drops(simethicone), 1ml for 3 doses an hour apart. It's also important to keep your rabbit warm as they start to chill when they're feeling unwell. If the ears feel really cold, they are cold, and I will warm up a warm pack(cotton sock filled with rice) and warm it in the microwave(make sure it's not too hot), then place it right by the rabbit. Sometimes gentle belly massage can help too.

If after the 3 doses of baby gas drops my rabbit isn't back to feeling better and eating, then it's time to get to the vet as it is GI stasis and the rabbit usually needs further assessing and will need meds. If there is a bloated distended stomach and the rabbit is tooth grinding very loudly, is visibly trembling, and/or may be sitting by the water dish with the paws in the water, then this is an immediate emergency, as true stomach bloat can be fatal very quickly.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
(simethicone dosing info)
https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

Thank you for your reply! I took him to the vet and they gave us pain meds, critical care, and some sort of hairball prevention (he is molting), tho I can't say he likes his meds.

Unsure what could have been prescribed for hairball 'prevention' aside from maybe a gut stimulant to move the existing fur along? If the cause of GI distress was fur ingestion and the crisis has passed, focus should now be put on you grooming your rabbit more often to reduce fur ingestion. Molting time is definitely a time when GI distress can happen due to the increased amount of fur rabbit's may ingest naturally as a result from grooming. Since they cannot cough up furballs like cats, it is very important to be diligent and effective with grooming.

For tips on grooming, you can see here: Grooming - WabbitWiki

Latest posts

Back