Help!! Rabbit is having diarrhea!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnations

Reaction score
Hey guys, once again need your urgent help, my rabbit is pooping liquid all black and not only liquid it does have ppop ball but her weight has suddenly decreased. I think that it could be diarrhea but I'm not sure. I sure am gonna take her to vet but still need some instead advice to temporarily reduce the situation. Please help me out here!!!!

definitely get a vet appointment ASAP.
What is her diet, brands and quantities? Hay, Pellets, treats, veggies?
Is she on any medication? And/or has she eaten something that she shouldn’t have
She is eating, and she eats hay and veggies only I really don't know what has she eated apart from hay as I have only given her that maybe it was something with the hay idk!?? 😕

What about the hay quality? Does it have a musty smell or does it smell fresh, is it long strong strands of hay or short weak flaky bits? What veggies does she get? Does she seem to be in any pain (tooth grinding, hunched position, pressing her belly to the floor)?
She really needs to see a vet because this could be very serious.

No the hay was fine, and she eat a carrot and 2-3 cabbage leaf. And yes she is sitting in a hunched position but relaxed and no tooth grinding, but there is strange thing she has got swelling on her stomach I guess it is stasis. And her tummy sound as if there is water in there and haven't pooped or peed! 😕🥺

"Some rabbits try cabbage and end up with diarrhea or loose stools. This is due to the cabbage causing gas and bloating in the rabbit’s digestive system.

It can happen due to feeding too much cabbage too soon. Or it may be that your rabbit simply does not get along with cabbage.

If your rabbit has diarrhea after eating cabbage, eliminate it from their diet until the symptoms disappear."
Can Rabbits Eat Cabbage? A Rabbit Feeding Guide

https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/what-gives-rabbits-diarrhea/
Swelling is really not good, could be bloat which is often deadly left untreated please try to see a vet,
can you try contacting maybe a rabbit shelter around you (exotic animal shelter)
for a vet?
I have took him but the doctor was not there and here it's almost night time so we don't have any clinics open can you suggest on some tips to survive till tomorrow morning as I have talked with the vet and we have got an appointment for morning.!!!

"Some rabbits try cabbage and end up with diarrhea or loose stools. This is due to the cabbage causing gas and bloating in the rabbit’s digestive system.

It can happen due to feeding too much cabbage too soon. Or it may be that your rabbit simply does not get along with cabbage.

If your rabbit has diarrhea after eating cabbage, eliminate it from their diet until the symptoms disappear."
Can Rabbits Eat Cabbage? A Rabbit Feeding Guide
No she is all good with cabbage she haven't shown any bad symptoms related to cabbage!!

With Rabbits (especially young ones) have very sensitive digestion system, rabbits younger than 3 months should not be fed fruits or vegs.

A pharmacy will have baby gas drops

I'M also going to link massaging rabbit stomavh vid

Rabbits are really really good at hiding pain, they're prey animals so they depend on it in nature, or they would be seen as the weakest an eaten.

But anyways a rabbit with stasis with act like he/she can not get comfortable. (and will frequently change position)

-Keep her hydrated, encourage water consumption
-Give baby gas drops (theres a certain dosage but I don'nt know what it is)
if symptoms do not get better by the 3rd dose, gas drops will probably continue to do nothing
-massage stomach

- do not force feed food unless you're 100 percent certain its not a blockage (can worsen the problem)
- encourage movement

Please let us know how your bun is doing

Last edited:
This doesn't sound like gas pain, but more like she had too much cabbage and it is causing her to bloat. Bloating is very dangerous. If you do give her gas drops and she doesn't really need them, they won't hurt her. If you can't find gas drops, fennel seed tea with no honey is another option. Keep offering her lots of hay and water! Maybe poke her with a piece of hay so that she will get mad at you and grab it out of your hand. Normally when rabbits taste a little bit of hay, they will keep eating it. It is best that you get her to the vet as soon as it opens! They need to do an x-ray to see if she has a blockage and if she does have one they will need to do surgery to remove it. If she doesn't have a blockage they will probably give her fluids, Metacam (pain medicine), and critical care.

If your rabbit is still eating then it is very unlikely she has bloat. True bloat causes severe pain so the rabbit will stop eating because of this.

You said your rabbit is still producing normal round fecal poop. Are you still seeing normal round fecal balls? The liquid poop, is it watery, or pasty? Is it happening all day or just certain times of the day? Are you seeing any mucous or blood in the poop?

If you can take a picture of the liquid poop and round poop, and post it here, that might be helpful.

Latest posts

Back