HELP! Rabbit in pain????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie.Edison.

Reaction score
Hello, so I have had my rabbits for about 2 weeks now, and they were doing great until I noticed something wasn't right this morning. My one rabbit (6 years old) is slightly shaking/shuddering when he sleeps and has very cold ears. He wouldn't eat his breakfast this morning (he usually comes running when he sees me carrying the food bowls), so I picked him up and set him next to the food bowl and he just sat there.
Whenever he stands up he stretches his back legs far behind him, but he does it VERY often. My other rabbit is very healthy, active, and eating, so I wonder if my one rabbit is in pain? Please help! Thank you

Their poop is all perfectly normal, which leads me to think he is in pain? If so, what should I do?

If it’s been more than 8 hours, I would get him to a rabbit savvy vet as soon as you can as it could be stasis.

In the meantime, he may have gas, so try massaging his tummy gently and give 1ml simethicone (baby gas drops) per hour

Keep up with the massaging and offer fresh herbs or his other favourite veggies and hay to encourage him to eat. Bunnies need food moving through their digestive system constantly, otherwise it slows and they deteriorate very quickly.

Last edited:
If it’s been more than 8 hours, I would get him to a rabbit savvy vet as soon as you can as it could be stasis.

In the meantime, he may have gas, so try massaging his tummy gently and give 1ml simethicone (baby gas drops) per hour

Keep up with the massaging and offer fresh herbs or his other favourite veggies and hay to encourage him to eat. Bunnies need food moving through their digestive system constantly, otherwise it slows and they deteriorate very quickly.

Thank you for replying! Last time he ate was around 10 last night and I have seen him eat a little hay this morning. He has been pooping and his poops do look normal. I will try massaging him, but I am unable to get the baby gas drops... would it be fine if I just massaged him?

I will offer his favorite foods right now and see if he will eat them. Thank you!

I tried the massage on my rabbit, and he only let me do it for 1 minute... but after I did that he went to his food bowl and is now eating! I will still keep an eye on him making sure he is still okay throughout the day. Thank you for you help :)

Last edited:
Hello, so I have had my rabbits for about 2 weeks now, and they were doing great until I noticed something wasn't right this morning. My one rabbit (6 years old) is slightly shaking/shuddering when he sleeps and has very cold ears. He wouldn't eat his breakfast this morning (he usually comes running when he sees me carrying the food bowls), so I picked him up and set him next to the food bowl and he just sat there.
Whenever he stands up he stretches his back legs far behind him, but he does it VERY often. My other rabbit is very healthy, active, and eating, so I wonder if my one rabbit is in pain? Please help! Thank you

I've noticed my rabbits will do that "trembling" thing when they're relaxed and content. Often, it's right before they fall asleep. And if he's sleeping, or if he just woke up, his ears will naturally be cold.

But, what you said could also be true as well... there's not really a good for them to tell us! Just wanted to share my experiences!

I've noticed my rabbits will do that "trembling" thing when they're relaxed and content. Often, it's right before they fall asleep. And if he's sleeping, or if he just woke up, his ears will naturally be cold.

But, what you said could also be true as well... there's not really a good for them to tell us! Just wanted to share my experiences!
Once one of my buns wouldn’t eat a thing. After 45 mins of massaging, I started calling around vets to see if I could find one available. She then sat in her litter box and did the equivalent of half a day’s poops in one go. Totally fine after that. So she wasn’t sick, she just needed a giant poo. To be fair to her, I wouldn’t want to eat either if I was carrying that around.

Equally, i’ve almost lost a bun to stasis, so can never be too careful

My rabbits do grind their teeth before they fall asleep when I pet them, so that definitely makes sense! His ears warmed up later in the afternoon, and they are cold again this morning, thanks for telling me that's normal! Makes me feel so much better :)

Once one of my buns wouldn’t eat a thing. After 45 mins of massaging, I started calling around vets to see if I could find one available. She then sat in her litter box and did the equivalent of half a day’s poops in one go. Totally fine after that. So she wasn’t sick, she just needed a giant poo. To be fair to her, I wouldn’t want to eat either if I was carrying that around.

Equally, i’ve almost lost a bun to stasis, so can never be too careful

Rather be too safe than sorry! I never heard of massaging bunnies until I made this thread, but I think that also helped my bunny as well! I massaged him multiple times yesterday and he started acting like his normal self again, and this morning he came running up for his yummy breakfast! Thanks so much for your help!

My rabbits do grind their teeth before they fall asleep when I pet them, so that definitely makes sense! His ears warmed up later in the afternoon, and they are cold again this morning, thanks for telling me that's normal! Makes me feel so much better :)

Rather be too safe than sorry! I never heard of massaging bunnies until I made this thread, but I think that also helped my bunny as well! I massaged him multiple times yesterday and he started acting like his normal self again, and this morning he came running up for his yummy breakfast! Thanks so much for your help!
Pleasure! Always good to have some baby gas drops handy just in case as well 😊

Latest posts

Back