Help! Rabbit has white eggs? on his feces

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you ALL so much for all your input and help. Its so very appreciated! As a new bunny mom ( and just in general ) these forums can be a lifesaver!! I'll definitely keep you updated as soon as I find out what it is at the vet!

There is no point debating what it could or could not be. The rabbit needs a vet.
Well this is an open community and we are giving free support and advice there's nothing wrong in communicating the problem, of course vets have all the equipment and knowledge and hopefully will help, I personally offer free emotional support it is important that you don't feel alone and can share even stupidest questions with somebody, feels like family.

Bring the abnormal poops with the white things in a brown paper bag to the vet so they can figure out what is going on with your bunny. The vet can do a stool sample from the poop to understand what it is. I would go as soon as possible. Sometimes bunnies can be really sick or distressed and hide their problems from the owner since they are a prey-animal. So despite the seeming fine they can have a real problem going on with their health. Please see the vet as soon as possible.

You said that you first found your bunny outside, they could have picked up something while they were outside in the wild before you found them. Bunnies are not the same as cats or dogs, when there is a problem do not wait to see if it corrects itself. When a bunny has a health problem or symptoms time is of the essence, abnormalities should be treated with urgency!

Alright so we took him to the vet today with a sample of his poop in a little bag. They did a general exam on him and said he had no signs of anything wrong with him. They checked his poop and did a poop examination under the microscope and the vet said it looked like SEEDS to her. She then did a "poop float test" to make sure no parasites were present, and NONE showed up.

That being said, she doesn't know for sure what it is, but that her best guess is a seed. We have no clue where the seeds came from or when he might have eaten them, especially considering this happened days ago and he is STILL pooping them out? We have not let him outside since finding them.

So basically, after a $100 vet bill, we know at the very least what they AREN'T. They are NOT tapeworms, flea eggs, or parasitic.

I was told I shouldn't be concerned because he's healthy, and that she would be going home and doing some googling and research herself to try and figure out what it might be, since it is a mystery to her!

I'm just glad he isn't sick or in any pain! Phew!
Thank you all again for your helpful suggestions. It made me feel much more calm and informed about the whole situation until I was able to get him into a vet! Much love to the community!

Do0GCOT.jpg

Here's a little photo of Scout as well, he says thank you for all the help too (and he's sorry you had to look at his poop!) <3

I'm so glad it was nothing huge! $100 is expensive, but honestly, I wish I could spend only $100 at our vet. They normally cost $250+. And that is an adorable picture!

I think you need to call the vet back or get a second opinion. Check out this site: friendshiphospital.com/friendship-news/tapeworms-found-fecal-testing/

Tapeworm segments do not float!

You have a very adorable rabbit.

Last edited:
Check out this site: friendshiphospital.com/friendship-news/tapeworms-found-fecal-testing/

Oops! Link not working. Try googling "tapeworms float fecal test"

Alright so we took him to the vet today with a sample of his poop in a little bag. They did a general exam on him and said he had no signs of anything wrong with him. They checked his poop and did a poop examination under the microscope and the vet said it looked like SEEDS to her. She then did a "poop float test" to make sure no parasites were present, and NONE showed up.

That being said, she doesn't know for sure what it is, but that her best guess is a seed. We have no clue where the seeds came from or when he might have eaten them, especially considering this happened days ago and he is STILL pooping them out? We have not let him outside since finding them.

So basically, after a $100 vet bill, we know at the very least what they AREN'T. They are NOT tapeworms, flea eggs, or parasitic.

I was told I shouldn't be concerned because he's healthy, and that she would be going home and doing some googling and research herself to try and figure out what it might be, since it is a mystery to her!

I'm just glad he isn't sick or in any pain! Phew!
Thank you all again for your helpful suggestions. It made me feel much more calm and informed about the whole situation until I was able to get him into a vet! Much love to the community!
Sorry i got it wrong.

Sorry if i got it incorrect , it just happened to my bunnie and that was what her poops looked like.

No problem. It is good to know what you and your rabbit went through so that we can learn something. It was good of you to share.

The problem with Ryenne's results is that a fecal float test doesn't work for tapeworms. Plant seeds don't multiply in a body, only parasite eggs do, so there is reason for concern here.

@Niomi Thank you! I'll discuss this with my parents as they are the ones currently paying for his vet bills. (which adds a whole other level of difficulty to this, as I would love to get everything done- but they have the $$ and get the final say in what they will pay for)

The suggestion that they are seeds did seem weird to me too.. not just because he hasn't had any major changes to is diet, but that they keep coming. He continues to have them in his poop even now. But all he eats is hay, pellets, lettuce, and some banana/carrots as a treat. None of which would have abnormal seeds in them. Even if he ate them outside..bunnies have such fast and ongoing digestive tracts that I shouldn't be seeing something he (potentially ate) a week ago continue to show up.

It's very strange, and entirely possible it's still tapeworms.. the vet said that tapeworms are normally "rice grain-like".. and since these are just small and round, that's not what it looks like to her...

So confusing and distressing to not know what exactly it is.

The is very strange. I would just keep an eye on him, and if his behavior changes or he loses weight then you should take him to the vet.

@Niomi @Theo

vIuxvqd.jpg

This is a photo of the poop I took to the vet for her to see. That one in the middle that has a line of them embedded in the poop was the first time I had seen that so far. It made me think it was tapeworms for sure... But she tested that area specifically and said it looked like seeds to her... but showing you guys too since you have been so helpful!

As for getting second opinions, I live in Las Cruces and we are currently seeing this rabbit vet because shes the only one we could find in our city... Unfortunately for us, the others have retired or passed away. Luckily we found at least one here still. Just wish she knew what this was!

One thing that works for parasites is diatomaceous earth. It is a flour like substance, so you have to be careful with it because if your rabbit breaths it in, it can irritate the lungs. I have used it with success before. I coated the pellets with it, and then shook the dust off and let the pellets sit in the bowl for awhile before giving them to my rabbits. It kills parasites, but it is a little slower kill method. It might take 3 months to completely rid a rabbit of intestinal parasites. You might be able to find this product in a farm and garden store, or you can buy it online. I comes in food grade and is sometimes added to food in 3rd world countries where intestinal worms are a problem. I sprinkle some on the floor in my basement and it kills crickets and ants. It is non-toxic, so if your dog or cat eats it, they will be fine.

A better solution, but more expensive is Revolution. You would have to buy that from a vet. It works like Advantage for dogs and cats, but I don't think that Advantage is not safe for rabbits. It controls fleas and internal parasites.

You could also just call the vet back that you took your rabbit to. Tell the vet that your rabbit still has a problem, and ask if you could just deworm her just in case. There are my different kinds of tapeworms and I am sure they don't all look alike. Tapeworms are also pretty rare in rabbits and your vet has probably not seen them in a rabbit before, and it is not known for sure what this is. But since the problem is still there and the problem at least acts parasites, the safe thing to do is treat your rabbit for parasites. Your rabbit should not need to see the vet again, and your vet can just prescribe the medication.

A better solution, but more expensive is Revolution. You would have to buy that from a vet. It works like Advantage for dogs and cats, but I don't think that Advantage is not safe for rabbits. It controls fleas and internal parasites.

I looked up Revolution and I don't see tapeworm on the box, although it kills other intestinal worm. It has been so long since I used it that it is not fresh in my memory. I may have just used it as a preventative because it kills fleas.

@Niomi @Theo

vIuxvqd.jpg

This is a photo of the poop I took to the vet for her to see. That one in the middle that has a line of them embedded in the poop was the first time I had seen that so far. It made me think it was tapeworms for sure... But she tested that area specifically and said it looked like seeds to her... but showing you guys too since you have been so helpful!

As for getting second opinions, I live in Las Cruces and we are currently seeing this rabbit vet because shes the only one we could find in our city... Unfortunately for us, the others have retired or passed away. Luckily we found at least one here still. Just wish she knew what this was!
I don't think that looks like seeds.

Latest posts

Back