HELP RABBIT GAIN WEIGHT

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearbop

Reaction score
HEllo okay so i own a 2 year old black and white broken buck mini lop and he is a really awesome rabbit. he weighs 6.5 pounds and is boney, so what would i feed him to gain weight: i heard things like mangeled beets and rutabaga. and black oil sunflower seeds. please help>?

What and how much does he currently eat? Sometimes just giving a bit more food or changing the food can make a difference.
You might want to get him checked for parasites. Worms or other parasites would cause weight loss or prevent him from gaining weight.

If he has been cleared by the vet and you have adjusted his feed, then I would consider adding other foods to help.

bearbop wrote:
Thanks, i feed him two handful of pellets, oats, corn and wheat and rye
You should NOT be feeding him Corn. They can't digest it and can cause GI problems. How old is your bunny? Are you feed him any Hay?

I'm unpinning your topic as it shouldn't be pinned.
Also edited your title so it reflects what your asking.

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
bearbop wrote:
Thanks, i feed him two handful of pellets, oats, corn and wheat and rye
You should NOT be feeding him Corn. They can't digest it and can cause GI problems. How old is your bunny? Are you feed him any Hay?

I'm unpinning your topic as it shouldn't be pinned.
Also edited your title so it reflects what your asking.

Yes, No Corn! That can cause impaction and lead to stasis.

You could try pellets for young buns and feed lots of hay, and different kinds of it, it wears differently on the teeth, which is good too!:)

A small amount of ground corn is fine (good carbsand used in many rabbit feeds - like other grains, the hull is not digestible, but an important source of fiber). A little steam rolled oats and sunflower seeds can also help to increase weight.

Corn can be a very important feed component in states like Wisconsin during the winter monthsbecause it supplies rabbits with energy to keep warm when they are kept outdoors.

Also keep in mind that some rabbits simply do not have good muscling.

If you want him to gain weight, I wouldn't be exercising him a lot, because that will just cause him to lose weight. ;)

Also, are you sure he's a Mini Lop - 6.5 lbs? That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Like Pam said, some rabbits just don't have good muscling - and he isn't going to get more muscle by exercising. ;) That might work for humans, but not for rabbits. ;)

Emily

Latest posts

Back