Help! Rabbit Chewing Cords !

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarlette

Reaction score
I just got this Havana baby bun (9 weeks old), and she has been chewing cords in our home!, I've told my dad to wrap the cords in some flex tubing, but he won't because he thinks it ugly and it won't look good in our house :rolleyes:, Could anyone tell me any other alternatives that not the common black tubing everybody tells me to use and possibly better looking ones ?

Transparent garden hoses could also do the trick, don't look so ugly imo and should keep cords equally safe. Another way is to just HIDE all of the cords into the walls, behind furniture, cable organisers and such.

Transparent garden hoses could also do the trick, don't look so ugly imo and should keep cords equally safe. Another way is to just HIDE all of the cords into the walls, behind furniture, cable organisers and such.
Thanks so much !

Any clear tubing can be split to hold a cord. A rabbit may still chew it so the tubing should be checked regularly, but it protects the cord (and bunny) before he can get to it.
Hardware/home improvement stores sell it by the foot.

Attachments

• 100_7830.JPG
    100_7830.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_7829.JPG
    100_7829.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 10
Any clear tubing can be split to hold a cord. A rabbit may still chew it so the tubing should be checked regularly, but it protects the cord (and bunny) before he can get to it.
Hardware/home improvement stores sell it by the foot.
What's up with the mouth-gaping electric sockets on the pictures? Is that an american thing? Those look so funny!
Ours look like these:
15968348565907001271500525033035.jpg

We also use braided sleeving to "bunny proof" the cords. We've also tried sour apple spray, which serves as a deterrent for a while, but I do not find it all that effective especially over the longer term as the scent/taste dry out.

Yes, that type of cord protector would mist likely keep direct damage away from both parties. It is still good to periodically check the protections for any excess damage though.

Also, if your family is okay with it, I love having cord hiding boxes (that is not their name). You can put a power strip and all the cords plugged into it and it has a lid so the bunny can't get in and chew them all. If you need a cord, just either pull one through the small opening in the front or back or open the lid!

Thank you! I'm going to order the sheathing... Will look for the boxes, that sounds like a great idea. My previous buns were all caged or hutched. This will be my first time doing it all the right way!

We have some of the sheathing. It works well. What we have is solid though and has to be slid on.

I use my furniture to block off cables but when I can't I use wrapping paper roll cardboard tubes.
Cheep and I can hear when they are trying to chomp down, having me move them if needed.
I also have boards leaned against the plug-ins that I can't put furniture against
A baby gate to close off rooms works well too.

Oh and I have heard pool noodles work too, in just concerned about the plasticy styrophom should they swallow it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back