Help *posting everywhere* my bunny isn’t eating much or pooping much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gen_Savage

Reaction score
I don’t know what to do because I’ve never adopted an older rabbit. She’s a spayed female lion head. I got her yesterday, and we had about an hour drive home. Her last owner fed her kaytee food which has a bunch of seeds and peanuts which aren’t good for rabbits. But I don’t want to switch her diet too quickly.. but I don’t want her to eat bad stuff either. She isn’t too fond on food to begin with as her owner fed her unlimited food. She doesn’t eat much hay, hasn’t been drinking much and her poops are very little, and there’s not much. Is this stress? I really don’t know what to do because bunnies shouldn’t stop eating but she barely eats... she’s my second bunny and I never had this problem before, am I over exaggerating? Someone please give me peace of mind and help me out

As long she’s eating and drinking water wait and let her settle down. My bunny Odin was the same when he was a kit but he had a 7 hours car drive. His droppings was smaller than pepper corns but after a few days he started to eat more. I also had the same situation with my french lop, she handled the transport worse than Odin.

I just kept an eye on that they was eating the pellets, nibbled hay and drinking their water.

The tiny black spots was Odins droppings at that time: IMG_2516.jpg

So it’s definitely caused by stress but when she gets more used with her environment and settles in, she will get more appetite.

Are there any veggies she was used with before, if there was any. You can wet them and give a few of those to her. Often fresh veggies or herbs are a lot more yummy.

You can start to change her diet after she have settled down, so you won’t cause more stress for her.

But if she completely stop eating take her to a vet.

Honestly thank you! I have been stressing out so much, I’m glad I’m not the only one who had this happen.

Hi, I had the same situation a couple months ago, got 2 year old rabbit and his food was this muesli/grain type food and snacks with dairy and seeds and grain, I also thought I'd change to my plain pellets gradually but he actually looked very fat when he arrived and after a few hours I saw his poos were very tiny and I realized he's not fat he was bloating and I just took every possible step to help him he actually liked his snacks but I removed them just on hay for a couple days and gas drops and herbal teas fennel tea for stomach, massages etc, I spent lots of time with him and thought he won't make it was very angry his owner didn't tell me anything even when I saw him I said oh god he's so fat and she didn't say anything, but now he's good it took about one week for him to recover. So I don't know if you want to feed her nuts or just keep her on hay and fresh leafy vegetables for a few days, no sweets carrots etc for a few days give her lots of drinks make a herbal tea etc. Well I don't know I can't see from here but what you described sounds a bit like what I had here.

But I also agree with Hermelin new home gives stress and some of them could stop eating, I had one rescued rabbit he was like staying in his corner for 8-12 hours, no food no drink, I thought he's dying but then he started drinking after 8 hours of total silence and drunk maybe 200 ml of water at once, then started eating a few hours later. He totally recovered in a few months he was all good, and now I have him for one year he's an excellent and healthy rabbit and not old at all.

Hi, I had the same situation a couple months ago, got 2 year old rabbit and his food was this muesli/grain type food and snacks with dairy and seeds and grain, I also thought I'd change to my plain pellets gradually but he actually looked very fat when he arrived and after a few hours I saw his poos were very tiny and I realized he's not fat he was bloating and I just took every possible step to help him he actually liked his snacks but I removed them just on hay for a couple days and gas drops and herbal teas fennel tea for stomach, massages etc, I spent lots of time with him and thought he won't make it was very angry his owner didn't tell me anything even when I saw him I said oh god he's so fat and she didn't say anything, but now he's good it took about one week for him to recover. So I don't know if you want to feed her nuts or just keep her on hay and fresh leafy vegetables for a few days, no sweets carrots etc for a few days give her lots of drinks make a herbal tea etc. Well I don't know I can't see from here but what you described sounds a bit like what I had here.
What teas would you recommend? She’s not interested in much... owner said she likes apples so I even tried handing her a piece of apple and she didn’t go for it, left it in there and she munched a bit but not a lot so i got worried... I just wish she would eat, and I feel so helpless.

What teas would you recommend? She’s not interested in much... owner said she likes apples so I even tried handing her a piece of apple and she didn’t go for it, left it in there and she munched a bit but not a lot so i got worried... I just wish she would eat, and I feel so helpless.
I'd take her to the vet .
I don't want to say its anything , i would go to the vet just

I'd take her to the vet .
I don't want to say its anything , i would go to the vet just
Wouldn’t that just stress her more though, that’s another car ride... and she’s doing better, she’s gradually eating more and more and pooping in bigger bunches.

Wouldn’t that just stress her more though, that’s another car ride... and she’s doing better, she’s gradually eating more and more and pooping in bigger bunches.

Glad to hear she’s starting to settle down and she’s turning for the better. I know how stressful it get’s when you see their tiny droppings and not want to eat.

Fennel or dill seed teas used in traditional medicine for reducing gas, bloating and stomach cramps, are known as a home remedy for baby colic, also chamomile tea and mint.

Sorry , my rabbit's not stressed my car rides , hope she recovers

Latest posts

Back